cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nategarrelts
Community Participant

18 Minute Video for New or Reluctant Educators

A friend recently asked me for some help setting up his online course. Our school certainly offers an array of training opportunities, but these courses take time, patience, and desire. While I have been teaching online since 2001, and enjoy experimenting with new technology, there are many educators who dread/fear/loathe learning management software. So, this morning I made a video for those people who just want to be told what to do and how to do it.

As I created the video, I was guided by the principle that students and new online teachers can be easily overwhelmed. So, I intentionally made the course navigation simple and tried to prevent students from spawning unmonitored content. I also emphasized the importance of regular (positive) communication using announcements. Lastly, since faculty may be put in a situation where they design a course for face-to-face weekly delivery and then need to transition to online delivery, I emphasized the most essential skills for making weekly course modules.

Hopefully, this small effort makes the process of online conversion just a little less painful for people who would rather not be teaching online. I left some things out, and they will no doubt have challenges. However, this should at least get some people started very quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sjb0HRWHN8&t

I might make other videos when I get the time. Or better yet, I challenge you all to make SHORT videos for our colleagues. Sometimes it is OK to give a person a fish instead of a fishing pole.

2 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@nategarrelts ‌

Thanks for sharing this wonderful resource and for extending an invitation to others to do the same. We appreciate how helpful you are being to your fellow community members, especially in these difficult times. Please check your direct messages for a small token of our appreciation. :0)

Thanks again for all that you do and keep up the good work!

Sincerely,

Canvas Community Team

Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @nategarrelts  Thank You for this blog and accompanying video. Your easy going tone and simple instructions will enable those new to Canvas to get a quick and hopefully stress free start to their work. FAB!