18 Minute Video for New or Reluctant Educators

nategarrelts
Community Explorer

A friend recently asked me for some help setting up his online course. Our school certainly offers an array of training opportunities, but these courses take time, patience, and desire. While I have been teaching online since 2001, and enjoy experimenting with new technology, there are many educators who dread/fear/loathe learning management software. So, this morning I made a video for those people who just want to be told what to do and how to do it.

As I created the video, I was guided by the principle that students and new online teachers can be easily overwhelmed. So, I intentionally made the course navigation simple and tried to prevent students from spawning unmonitored content. I also emphasized the importance of regular (positive) communication using announcements. Lastly, since faculty may be put in a situation where they design a course for face-to-face weekly delivery and then need to transition to online delivery, I emphasized the most essential skills for making weekly course modules.

Hopefully, this small effort makes the process of online conversion just a little less painful for people who would rather not be teaching online. I left some things out, and they will no doubt have challenges. However, this should at least get some people started very quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sjb0HRWHN8&t

I might make other videos when I get the time. Or better yet, I challenge you all to make SHORT videos for our colleagues. Sometimes it is OK to give a person a fish instead of a fishing pole.