cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
venitk
Community Champion

Code of Conduct Agreement

Jump to solution

Is there a way to have a Code of Conduct agreement that students have to agree to before they an access the course material?

In D2L we set it up as a quiz that wasn't associated with the gradebook. Students read the agreement, then clicked "I agree" and that scored them at 100% for the quiz, and then they got access.

Maybe I'm missing it, but there doesn't seem to be a way to have a graded quiz that's not connected to the grades? And if I set it up as an ungraded survey, my only option for setting a requirement on the module is for students to view the survey, not "pass" it. 

Would it work to put a graded quiz/survey in its own assignment group that counts as 0% towards the final grade?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
themidiman
Community Champion

Having the quiz in a zero-weighted assignment group would prevent it from counting towards the final grade as you suggested. Then also putting it in a module as the sole completion requirement with the rest of the content being in a subsequent module or series of modules with that first module as a prerequisite seems to be the best solution.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
themidiman
Community Champion

Having the quiz in a zero-weighted assignment group would prevent it from counting towards the final grade as you suggested. Then also putting it in a module as the sole completion requirement with the rest of the content being in a subsequent module or series of modules with that first module as a prerequisite seems to be the best solution.

View solution in original post

venitk
Community Champion

Thanks Jeffrey. If the first module has basic course information (instructor bio, that sort of thing), do you think there would be any problem in putting it in that module? In other words, if it's in a module with other non-essential information (if the instructor wants), would that break it?

venitk
Community Champion

Also, what's the difference in this case between a graded survey and a graded quiz?

themidiman
Community Champion

A graded survey is a required survey for the students to submit if they wish full credit for all the assignments given to them in a course. I'm not sure if one vs the other can be set properly as a completion requirement, so I would experiment with either and see if it works. 

Regarding the other basic course info, you could also set completion requirements on those items in that module such as view or mark as done along with the acknowledgement quiz/survey. Consult the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13134  page and see what sticks. In fact perhaps a simple page that you can apply the mark as done requirement could suffice as the completion requirement for your Code of Conduct information. That's up to you, of course. 

lyndsey_martin
Community Participant

Katie, is it an option to just set the quiz to be worth 1 point? That way you can require them to access and pass it but at 1 point it only has a nominal effect on the rest of the grades. 

I thought of that, but we have classes with 2000 points and classes with 20 points total for the whole class, so the impact wouldn't be consistent across classes. 

lwhitleyputz
Community Participant

There are some great ideas here for using a quiz, but you might also consider using an assignment. The prompt of the assignment could be the code of conduct, and for their submission, students could be required to type in "I agree" or even just their name as a "digital signature." 

The benefit of using an assignment is that it can be given points, but can be configured so the points don't count toward the final grade. And it can (like the quiz idea) be a module requirement, so it can still be used as a gate--students must submit before they can move on. 

You could even mark this as complete/incomplete...it wouldn't be scored automatically, but it would be easy to grade.