Course discussion area for instructors only?

Jump to solution
RSMacLeod
Community Explorer

I am collaborating with about 10 instructors and TAs on a course and would love to have a space to post notes from our meetings, discuss  ideas about the course, provide news updates, etc.  But I want this space to be visible ONLY to the instructors and TAs.  I do not want the course participants to have any access to this part of the Canvas page.

Is there a way in Canvas to create a space like this? For example, a way to control access to some pages and files?

Thanks,
Rob

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Now that I'm on a computer here are some guides that should help you build a work space that's kept hidden from students.

Modules - if you'd like to have a Module in your course for instructional materials and information (not for students), here are the guides that explain how to hide a module and pages from students.

Files - if you'd like to utilize the "Files" area in your course here are the guides that will help explain the basics of how to create a folder, add files, and make it so students can't access the folder and/or files.

Google Drive - my last idea is using Google Drive to manage your course information. You could set-up a folder for your course - with files, collaborative space, etc - and put the link to the folder in Canvas - maybe on a hidden page - for everyone (but students) to reference. This is more outside of Canvas, but at my Institution we use this method a lot and it's been pretty successful.

And last, to double-check everything I recommend using the Test Student to view your course just to verify that everything that should be hidden really is - How do I access Student View?

Hope this helps and please let me know if you need any additional clarification!

View solution in original post