cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mfreedman3
Community Participant

Disappearing Graphics

Jump to solution

I have jpg images which display just fine, then for no apparent reason they disappear, only showing the file name.  Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong?

279413_pastedImage_1.png

146 Replies
sarawells
Community Participant

Is anyone from Canvas monitoring this thread? The graphics issue is clearly an ongoing problem that needs to be addressed by Canvas technicians in a way that far surpasses the advice to clear one's cache. I've loaded graphics directly in a given course, and the issue persists. If someone from Canvas would reply here, that would be helpful. Many thanks for your assistance. 

mfreedman3
Community Participant

Sara,

I opened this thread a while ago. Here's what I know:

- Canvas has told me that they do not monitor the community forums, which I

think is a big mistake - a sign of a company that is not being proactive.

- They ask that we open tickets through our Admins, with a link to the page

and a screen shot of the issue (I use the MS snipping tool)

- If you like, reference my case # 03211628

- They've tried to fix it, but I still see folks posting in this thread.

And i just saw it again a week or so ago.

Good luck... Michael

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 11:34 AM sarawells@fuller.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

sarawells
Community Participant

Thanks, Michael! I am a Canvas admin and also teach courses. I'll open a new ticket, and I'll reference your case number. Thank you for your quick response!

mfreedman3
Community Participant

I also just posted in the admin forum... (I are one too Smiley Wink

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/135548-disappearing-graphics

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 12:56 PM sarawells@fuller.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

@mfreedman3  

- Canvas has told me that they do not monitor the community forums, which I think is a big mistake - a sign of a company that is not being proactive.

• Michael.  I wanted to begin by addressing this.  I think you may have taken the support individuals words out of context.  Our friends in support that are working tickets are very focused on tickets and do not read Community posts.  We have an entire Community team that does monitor the community, actively engages, and provides important feedback, user stories, and perspective across the company.

- They ask that we open tickets through our Admins, with a link to the page and a screen shot of the issue (I use the MS snipping tool)

• It is actually up to the school how they structure their support.  We do not make that choice.  When i worked for a school our users had a direct line to support.  There are schools though that for their own good reasons want their users to submit support cases through their local admins first.

- They've tried to fix it, but I still see folks posting in this thread. And i just saw it again a week or so ago.

• The cause of broken images is hard to chase down.  There are so many factors that come into play, including browser.  So this does need to be handled through support.  And it is important to initiate your support case from where you are experiencing the problem (go to the page with the broken images, click help, click support a ticket).  Our support friends are able to pull important information from that submission.  If they ask for screenshots, that means they need them, so please do help them help you!
mfreedman3
Community Participant

Renee, thanks for addressing this. Your response feels harsh to me.

I don't lightly say this. I was actually told that Canvas does not monitor

forums directly. I raised this to my support team in a friendly way and

had that confirmed. If that has changed, then that's good to hear.

I was told a few times to have users go trough their admins, so I should

have been given better information. It also would have been helpful if

someone from Canvas had made comments in the community thread.

If you see my responses in this thread and in the ticket, you will see that

I recognize the difficulty of trouble shooting this, am complying with

support team requirements, and am being helpful.

Michael

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 1:12 PM rcarney@instructure.com <

s_carter
Community Participant

Couldn’t agree more

I have just submitted yet another ticket and been told yet again to clear my cache and change browser- to the browser I am using. This issue is so widespread it cannot be an issue with individual users

Sent from my iPhone

Hey  @mfreedman3 

Sorry if my response felt harsh, that wasn't the intention at all.  I just recognized that there were a few misconceptions in your text that we needed to clear up and I wanted to make sure to do so as directly as possible!

Thanks so much for continuing to work with support on this!

If you want to see our Community team, you can check us out here

mfreedman3
Community Participant

Thanks Renee, let's move past that and focus on the disappearing graphics

issue.

I recognize that some problems are difficult to trouble shoot, and continue

to support your efforts to resolve this. If Canvas could provide the

followers of this thread some sense of progress, I think that would be

helpful and believe the users would be glad to provide support for the

effort.

M

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 7:27 AM rcarney@instructure.com <

@mfreedman3 

When it is a bug, we usually do not provide updates in a community thread, for we want and need people to use their support tickets.  We have no problem with people using a thread like this to communicate about what they discover through their support tickets though.

We do have a space called Canvas Labs‌ where we post some of the most widespread known issues.  This space is accessible to admins.  I just searched it for a broken images post and do not see one there, so we don't have any additional information posted in the community at this time.

Please feel free to keep conversing with others in this thread!  You've shared your ticket number, which is helpful to others as well, but the support troubleshooting and communications will be going through your ticket!