Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jomontuori
Community Contributor

Dont's in Canvas?

An administrator in my K-12 district just asked me a great question -- and I need your help answering it! :smileyplain:

Question: Is there anything that one should NOT do in designing and developing a Canvas course? 

Some Considerations:

1. The instructor is developing this "in-service learning" course for adults (faculty)
  2. This will be the instructor's first Canvas course (or LMS course of any kind).
  3. The course instructor has (mostly) completed our online instructor training course.
  4. The course will be blended: about 2/3 face-to-face, 1/3 online.
  5. Many of these teachers have no familiarity with Canvas, but others have some. (We've only rolled out Canvas to our 9-12 high school so far).
  6. The instructor hopes to maximize student-to-student online collaboration.

Thoughts?

71 Replies
jomontuori
Community Contributor

I do the same,  @ellisonj29 ‌. One reason for my preference is that I sometimes use pages with prerequisite instructions, content, etc. I don't want students missing those learning opportunities if I can help it. Smiley Happy

scain
Community Contributor

I really appreciate this idea, and I encourage it too. The only thing that's worth noting is that students can still get into assignments through the calendar, grade book, or syllabus pages. I still find it better to put assignments into modules and hide the Assignments link, but you may want to be careful about having prerequisite material in the modules.