cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
parm
Community Participant

Examples of Articulate Storyline in Canvas?

Jump to solution

Hi ID Group,

I'm looking for Canvas courses with Articulate Storyline used for content delivery. Does anyone know if there are some examples of this in the Canvas Commons? Ideally, I would like to have samples of the Storyline files added in using the zip files as well as the SCORM methods. I want to show examples of well organized and designed courses to some instructors I work with. 

thanks,

Parm

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
slh73
Community Member

Hi Michael, 

I love your Accessible Syllabus Storyline. Would you mind if I shared that link internally as a resource we can use while working with faculty and course designers?

Suzanne

View solution in original post

32 Replies
Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

A few years ago I built an Articulate Storyline program that would work within Canvas. The item was a training module for sub-admin accounts. Here is a zip file of the program. If it doesn't work, let me know (jrboek@ou.edu) I will email it to you. I do like Articulate and will be building out more modules as time allows. 

parm
Community Participant

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing your file.  Did you add the files as SCORM or embed them? I see you didn't use the TOC/Menu, that probably help with the content display in Canvas. I'm finding the addition of the TOC/Menu can look a bit squished on some screens.

thanks again,

Parm

Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

No I didn’t. At the time that this was created, SCORMwas still having issues. 

wild0017
Community Participant

I've used Storyline 2 to build several objects in Special Ed and Teacher Ed. I think it's a great program for authoring engaging and interactive self-checks, quizzes, flash cards and the like. I haven't necessarily seen any in the Commons, but here are a few examples of ones I've built. 

When it comes to integrating Storyline into Canvas, I found that storing the output files on a webserver and linking to Canvas had better results than using SCORM.  SCORM is nice if you want to feed results into the gradebook. But because the settings in Storyline, and SCORM, and Canvas Assignments (# of attempts, score, grade display type) often overlap, you can get inconsistent results.  Plus, you need to make sure Instructure uses the most up to date version of their SCORM LTI, otherwise, when you import Assignments with SCORM modules, the SCORM package doesn't always come with the imported assignment.  So, Storyline works better, IMO, when students use them for practice and self-checks, than for graded assignments - you just have less headaches.  

parm
Community Participant

Thanks Michael,

Your examples are great. While I like that the SCORM LTI can pull some data into the grades, I think it's awkward for students to leave the Module content area just to access the SCORM content. I like the idea of hosting the files on a server and then use iframes on the content pages. That work well with Blackboard and Articulate content, but I haven't been able to test that in Canvas yet. Have you used iframes on Canvas pages? If so, are there any problems with that?

Parm

wild0017
Community Participant

Hi Parm, 

When we use a SCORM package, the object displays right inside the Assignment page, so they don't have to leave the Module (as you would an External link).  However, it is best to choose to "Load this tool in a new Tab/Window for sizing purposes.  Since it displays directly within the Assignment page, we don't have to use an iframe.  I've used iframes for YouTube videos and other embedded content, but not Articulate.  

tdanner
Community Participant

Here are snippets of course content we've developed Storyline 2. I never completed the bingo game, as it was part of a course that we never ended up developing.

Lost in Time

SMART Bingo

Cycles of Sleep

While I appreciate Canvas having a SCORM tool, I find it lacking, compared to another LMS our unit once used to deliver Articulate-based content. The content we post in a Canvas course is ungraded, but the tool still adds each upload as an item in the gradebook, which confuses the instructor and students while making a mess of the gradebook. Same thing applies to the uploads displaying in Assignments.

I'd rather store the content in Files, but that creates other issues, such as the material not loading in the player and the file that is linked to for students being available as a download.

Regarding the poor way Canvas displays the content when launched, I get around that by enabling the "launch player in a new window" in the Player settings. This will cause the player to launch either in a new tab or new window, depending on the browser, and allow the user to also resize the browser if it launches in a new window.

parm
Community Participant

Hi Timothy,

Nice samples very engaging. I failed the quiz, and I am forever lost in time!

Its too bad the SCORM LTI is not bit more flexible. I ended up changing my the course structure, so the SCORM Assignment content (at a Topic level) is directly added into the Module, rather than from a Page. The assignment is set to "Load This Tool in A New Tab", and then when users complete the Storyline, they can use the exit/close button in Storyline to close that window. At least they are not bumped out of the Module learning path that way.

Parm

slh73
Community Member

Hi Michael, 

I love your Accessible Syllabus Storyline. Would you mind if I shared that link internally as a resource we can use while working with faculty and course designers?

Suzanne

View solution in original post