Exceptions to Module Prerequisites

Jump to solution
harris60
Community Contributor

I use modules and students must complete a module before going to the next module.

However, in one case I have a student who was not able to complete module "a" before the due date. This means that the student can not take module "B". I would like to create an exception to open module b for this student. Is there anyway to create exceptions in module prerequisites for just one student?

1 Solution
harris60
Community Contributor

First, snugent​, thank you so much for your suggestion. I wasn't aware of the EX capability and that was useful to know about.

Unfortunately, it will not work in my case. I want to give the student no credit (a zero) for the assignment, but allow them to continue with the course. However, experimenting with EX gave me an idea which did work. If I directly enter a score of zero in the gradebook for the missed assignment then the student will be able to go on to the next module.

So that this is documented if someone else finds this through a search:

Entering a EX as a student's grade will excuse an assignment. For that student only, it will act as if the assignment/grade did not exist. For example let's say that there are four tests marked as follows:

Test1: 100 Test2: 100 Test3: 0 Test4: 100 ==> Student's Test Score would be: 75

With an EX, this would become:

Test1: 100 Test2: 100 Test3: EX Test4: 100 ==> Student's Test Score would be: 100

In my case I have a rule to drop the lowest test score. The EX is completely ignored so that the lowest other test score is dropped like this:

Test1: 100 Test2: 100 Test3: EX Test4: 34 =(Drop lowest)=> Student's Score: 75

Finally, what worked for me was just manually entering a zero in the gradebook:

Test1: 100 Test2: 100 Test3: 0 Test4: 100 =(Drop lowest)=> Student's Test Score would be: 100

In my case I entered a 0 for Test3 and left Test4 blank. This allowed the student to skip module three (with a grade of zero) and to continue on with the module 4.

View solution in original post