cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schachernp
Community Contributor

Fill-in Table-checklist for an assignment

Jump to solution

A teacher has asked me how to create an assignment that has a table/checklist that each students should complete.  The students should fill-in the Observed column or the Performed column with a checkmark or an 'X' or an N/A when they have completed that criteria.  Each student would have to complete the table/checklist that's why we wanted to make it an assignment.  Also, we would like to be able to print the checklist after completion. 

I'm not sure how I should answer that question so I thought I would ask here.  I thought about a form, an Excel spreadsheet, or a rubric even (if the students would be able to enter the data into the rubric).  Thank you in advance for any assistance with this question!

Here's an example of what she is trying to do:

Criteria
ObservedPerformed
1.  Criteria for item #1 the student needs to observe and then perform.
2.  Criteria for item #2 the student needs to observe and then perform.
3. Criteria for item #3 the student needs to observe and then perform.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schachernp
Community Contributor

We have an Office 365 solution.  Not sure what I did wrong.  Thanks for the assistance!!

View solution in original post

11 Replies
schachernp
Community Contributor

Sorry.  The teacher would also like to be able to grade it as completed or not completed once the student has finished completing the assignment.   

jlstalke
Community Participant

Canvas recently release an Office 365 (Canvas Release: Microsoft Office 365 LTI ) and a Google Docs (Canvas Release: Google Apps LTI ) integrations that would make something like this easier.  Then the teacher can make an Excel (or Google Sheets) template for students to complete and submit.  After submission, the teacher can issue a grade based off of completion.

schachernp
Community Contributor

This didn't really work how we thought it would.  The template just didn't work and when we used a spreadsheet, it was the same for the all students once one completed it.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks so much!!!

jlstalke
Community Participant

Are you using the Office integration or the Google integration?  I was able to successful assign and Office Excel template and received an edited version as a submission. 

My county has 365 for all of our students already.  I believe you need Google Apps for Education for the Google integration.

schachernp
Community Contributor

We have an Office 365 solution.  Not sure what I did wrong.  Thanks for the assistance!!

View solution in original post

schachernp
Community Contributor

Just another quick question here.  We can include a link to a document from Canvas with Office 365 however, we haven't figured out how to embed the document into a page.  Can you do that?  Thank you for any assistance in advance!!

jlstalke
Community Participant

I had success with creating a template and having students modify their version.  

1)  Make sure you have the Excel file in your OneDrive.

2)  Create an assignment.  Choose the submission type "External Tool"

3)  Click the Find button next to the url box for the external tool

4)  Choose "Office 365 Cloud Assignment"

5)  Choose the Excel file from your One Drive

This will only work if your district has integrated it's 365 account with Canvas.

jlstalke
Community Participant

You should be able to pull an embed code of the 365 document.  While in your OneDrive, open the document in a browser.  Click the three horizontal dots in the top right.  Click on <embed>.  This should give you html code to add to the Canvas page html editor.

schachernp
Community Contributor

When we click on the 3 dots, we do not have an <embed> option in the list.  Could it be somewhere else?  Thanks for the info!!