cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marthazumack
Community Contributor

Flexbox grid/design for on Canvas App

Jump to solution

I've been playing with Flexbox Grid in Pages in a course template, but in testing the template on the Canvas App on iOS, the Flexbox Grid doesn't work. Is this a bug, or a design feature?

Does anyone have specific advice for designing for the Canvas app?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

You are correct. Custom JS and CSS do not work with the app. Hopefully the new UI will eliminate the need for a separate app.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
canvas_admin
Community Champion

Martha,

It has been my experience that anything that uses JS or CSS, which would include items from the styleguide such as Flexbox, does not work the same way on the mobile app because mobile devices do not really use JS/CSS.   So it seems to me, the best way to design for the mobile apps, would be to actually build in a way that does not use JS/CSS, which means you're limited to HTML or text based design.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct. Custom JS and CSS do not work with the app. Hopefully the new UI will eliminate the need for a separate app.

View solution in original post

jamely
Community Champion

Thank you for asking this question, I spent many hours fighting with (I thought) my code so that my page in the app would look correct. Now I know it wasn't my code, it is the fact that the JS is getting stripped out. Such a small thing! Now I know just to use the <divs> to make responding columns like what  @G_Petruzella ​ wrote about in his Columns Without Tables document.