Grading a group discussion with no group created?

Jump to solution
amanda_taintor
Community Contributor

I have an instructor who selected "group discussion" and had created the group set but not the group. Now she is unable to grade using speedgrader aggregation (original response and peers put together).  Anybody know of a workaround that might work other then the old paper pencil checklist. Thanks

1 Solution
garciah
Community Champion

Hi there! I didn't see the replies until after searching my email. You may have already contacted Canvas Support, but I encountered this issue a few weeks ago, and this is the response we received from Support:

"When the group discussion box is checked, Speedgrader will only look in the group discussions for that discussion.  If students were not assigned to groups in the Group Set that the discussion was using, then Speedgrader will appear empty.  You could assign students to groups now for that Group Set that the discussion is using, but that would only affect future posts that students make to the discussion.  Since it looks like several students have already posted to the main discussion page, and not to their group discussions, there is not a way to have those student's posts appear in Speedgrader.  We apologize for this inconvenience. It might be easiest to open 2 tabs, one with the discussion and the other with Speedgrader to grade that discussion."

View solution in original post