Hacking the Commons

Jump to solution
brad_hinson
Community Novice

I think the Canvas Commons has potential, but is lacking some usability.  We would like it to work like a shopping cart, where we can provide links directly to specific objects inside the repository.

Thus, we'll create a Canvas Gallery with demos of Course Pages, code snippets (tabs, accordion, etc.), and so forth.   Each item will have a link/button that goes directly to said-item in Commons.

The Commons is built with frames, etc. - thus masking any direct URLs to specific objects.   Any ideas for getting around this? 

The issue with the Commons - you can't link to specific items, you can't pass variables to it so folks can find things, and worst of all - users can't "see" and "try" objects ahead of time.  It doesn't facilitate try-before-you-buy.  Which is what we are trying to build now.   Think of the code-snippets in the Canvas Hacks classroom where each snippet as an "Add to my course" link.   Bada-bing!

Ideas welcome...

Brad

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

There are Commons Feature Ideas already open for voting.  Here is one that you could vote on:

(this Feature Idea was just submitted today, so I imagine it will be open for voting soon...once Instructure moves it to the Commons Feature Ideas area)

Here are the other Feature Ideas already open for voting: Commons Feature Ideas

View solution in original post