Kevin_W
Community Contributor

Mobile Test Proctoring

Hello!

I'm the new guy here. Instructional Technology Consultant at Montcalm Community College. Just started in this brand new position at the college.

I did a search on Proctoring LTI Apps and didn't really find anything so I'll ask...

I'm looking for recommendations on the best Canvas LTI app to go with for off-site test proctoring in Higher Education, what do you recommend?

Thanks!

181574_pastedImage_0.png

6 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @Kevin_W ​...

Welcome to the Community!  What you are looking at are LTI (Learning Tools Interoperability) apps that can integrate inside of Canvas.  The term "apps" might be a bit confusing here because we normally think of apps on mobile devices.  The apps you've found are typically set up inside of Canvas and may not have an actual mobile app.  And, once an LTI app is set up/integrated properly in a Canvas course, the LTI app may not "play nice" inside of the Canvas mobile app.

I've not had any experiences myself with any of the ones you've found, so I'll defer to others who may know more...but I wanted to provide you a bit of background on the terminology of "apps" as it relates to Canvas LTIs.  Hope this is helpful.

Kevin_W
Community Contributor

Thanks for your help,  @Chris_Hofer ​.

I made some changes to my OP. I'll get this all figured out!

dhulsey
Community Champion

We use Respondus . It comes with the lockdown browser, and the webcam monitor. It is not an LTI, but it is a direct integration with Canvas.

The monitor was cheaper than other remote proctoring solutions because the monitor records the student taking the exam, and the instructor can review the exam footage as opposed to paying a person to proctor the exam as it occurs.

I hope that helps!

memarsh
Community Member

Hello Kevin,

We are just starting to evaluate LTI's as we migrate to Canvas.  We currently use Remote Proctor Now by Software Secure for Remote Proctoring and also have Respondus LockDown Browser.  Software Secure demonstrated their LTI to us recently, but it left us wanting more.  There are some other remote proctoring tools that I have seen that are not on your list but are on https://www.eduappcenter.com/ .

Examity

ExamSoft

Respondus Monitor

McGraw Hill Tegrity

Hope this helps,

Melissa

Robbie_Grant
Coach Emeritus

@Kevin_W ,

We are giving the Instructional Designers area a little bit of love and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Kevin_W
Community Contributor

Thanks,  @Robbie_Grant ‌!