cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennifer_k_hall

Online Jigsaw/Group Shareout?

Hello! Thank you all for your contributions to these groups because I have learned so much in the short time I have been a canvas user! 

I am working on an online history course. I've read several posts on visual learning, group work, etc but nothing quite answers my question. So, my question is...do my students post group projects for review by other members...think a modern jigsaw. For example, one group works on civil rights events of the 40s, another the 50s, etc. What is the most efficient way to have students share their work? I thought I could create the google slides for each group then embed those into a page or have them just share their link in a discussion post. Are there other ways?  

Tags (1)
6 Replies
Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

You might want to look at the Collaboration tool in Canvas. You could set up groups and give each group a shareable Google Doc and then re-post it back to the page.

Dr. John Boekenoogen

University of Oklahoma

nbiddinger-c

This is a very good question.  My teachers ask how to keep students accountable in group projects.  Teachers are used to monitor for students not doing their own work through paper pencil methods, (or not monitoring Smiley Sad) but using the digital tools is a particular challenge for them.  How can I support teachers to use their digital resources to ensure student work is actually student work in a collaborative project?  This is new ground for many but I'm confident we can use these tools in a meaningful way.

I'll look forward to see what this group shares & explores.

@nbiddinger-c ‌, I do a lot of group work in my course and over the years I've done the following to address the individual side of group work.

• Use Discussions! By using online discussion forums to have students share their group resources, work, information the Instructor can easily see which students are being an active member of the group and the quality of their individual work. I also use this so I can assign an individual grade for different parts of the project. Ex: I have a group discussion where students have to find relevant web-sites & resources that they could use for their group project. By doing it in a discussion I can clearly see which students have participated and evaluate the quality of their work - individually. Yet, it still helps with the group project as a whole as well.
  • Use Google Collaborations! Using Collaborations allows all group members to work on the document at once. This is good because you don't have the problem of only one student typing the responses for all group members.
  • Have individual parts within the larger group assignment. Example: For my Statistics class I had for each group, each student in the group had to collect data from 50 people (so individual within group). Then the group had to analyze their data, but to include an individual component to it I told them that each student had to analyze a different part of the data, which they put their name by (so I could see who did what). They then combined the individual analysis into the overall analysis for the group project.
  • Ask students to explain what role/work they did on the project. For this I have students explain what they did to help with the group project, so what role did they serve, how did they help out. I have them add this to the end of the assignment where the other group members can see - I find this helps to keep them honest because they know the other group members know what they did... or didn't do.

Hope this helps!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@nbiddinger-c , based on your questions and my original answer, I realized it would be good to document what I'm doing so I went ahead and wrote a blog about this topic - https://community.canvaslms.com/people/kona 

@kona ‌ These are spot on tips!  Thank you!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jennifer_k_hall ,

We are giving the Instructional Designers area a little bit of love and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

0 Kudos