Options for Adding Multimedia to Pages

snugent
Community Champion

Multimedia is great way to provide students with additional modalities. Below are some of the ways you can get audio/visual content in your course. It is important to note that content should be optimized for the web before adding it your course and be sure to add captions to the videos you add to your course. 

Use Canvas Rich Content Editor

If your computer (at home) has webcam, you can quickly record audio or video directly in Canvas using the media comment tool in Canvas pages. 

How do I record a video using the Rich Content Editor as an instructor?  

How do I record audio using the Rich Content Editor?  

What should I do if I can't record video comments with my webcam?  

Don't Forget to Caption Your Video!

How do I add captions to an external video as an instructor? 

How do I add captions to new or uploaded videos in Canvas as an instructor? 

How do I create a caption file using the subtitle creation tool as an instructor? 

How do I view captions in a video as an instructor? 

Other Options

Your phone/tablet

If you have a smartphone, you have a camera that records static images and video. Most phones have additional features such as portrait mode, slow-motion, and photo editing features. Use a cloud based option like Dropbox and OneDrive to upload your videos to your desktop. 

This CNET video gives some good tips about shooting video with your phone. 

YouTube

Keith Hughes using his YouTube channel  as a place to upload and organize his videos. In the video below he explains his process of recording lecture videos. Be sure to check out some of his awesome history lectures! YouTube videos are easy to embed in Canvas. Check out this guide for details. 

Other Software Options

PowerPoint/Mix - PowerPoint ships with narration tools and the ability to save the presentation in video format. You can also install Mix to gain even more recording features.

SnagIt - This software allows to you capture screen shots of the computer desktop. You can annotate the images with arrows and other interesting stamps.

Camtasia- This software allows to you capture video of the computer desktop. You can annotate the video with call-outs and captions.

SmartBoard Software - SmartBoard is hardware/software solution. The Smartboard software has screen capture and video recording options.

Educreations- This is third party application that can be integrated with Canvas. The free version can be used to record yourself writing out problems with stylus on an iPad.

1 Comment