cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kendra_jarvis
Community Contributor

Printing Canvas quiz

A teacher came by today and asked if there was a way to print a quiz. I had never done this before. I found two ways:

1.Click on Preview and print from there but it wouldn't look clean. In a pinch it would work.

1. Preview the quiz and Ctrl+P change your printer to Save as PDF and then print. The result is clean.

Any other ideas?

68 Replies
gwied
Community Participant

Yes, we need ability to print paper exam from Canvas as 1) backup and 2) special accommodations.

I just had this problem with a professor initiating online exam delivery, and the solution was terrible. I THOUGHT Respondus 4 would be the “bridge” back to paper copy of the exam. Printing paper backup copies from Canvas is problematic if the exam is more complicated than multiple choice questions plus essay questions (i.e., instructor is using available tools to make the exam interesting/varied/secure).
− Although Canvas can export an exam as a .QTI file, Respondus 4.0 does not properly interpret/parse the QTI file if the exam uses any of the features from Canvas that make authoring within Canvas attractive, e.g., question groups, “matching” question type, randomizing, etc.
− “Matching” question-type not Recognized as valid format
− Question groups are not recognized as groups
− Questions within question groups lose the point value assigned to them, thus default to 1 point.
− Printing direct from the Canvas exam preview webpage is possible for some question types; “matching” questions show up as “select one”, which is obviously useless in print media.
− Thus to print an exam from Canvas, preparing the exam for Word (via Respondus) may take a lot of work.

PS. Respondus IS a good bridge from Word to Canvas.

gwied
Community Participant

See my above response to @ @tmathew  , which includes:

Although Canvas can export an exam as a .QTI file, Respondus 4.0 does not properly interpret/parse the QTI file if the exam uses any of the features from Canvas that make authoring within Canvas attractive, e.g., question groups, “matching” question type, randomizing, etc.

gwied
Community Participant

In the Fall of 2019, there's no sign of many hopeful things from this video 😕 , e.g., printing quizzes.

themidiman
Community Champion

FYI, Printing is currently prioritized #9 in the prioritization exercise (scroll down to the bottom of the New Quizzes Group page)

Oops...forgot to add that it's lumped together with "Print/Scan/Score" so maybe this is too much to ask in one development sprint. I'm not even sure what Scan/Score has to do with Printing

gwied
Community Participant

Peter Flickinger, the Chrome extension did not work for me, and I'm jealous of y'all who got results!
I installed the Chrome extension on up-to-date versions of Chrome on Mac and PC. 

1. open a published, not-expired exam, go to Preview mode
  2. click the "Print this Quiz" button in the URL/extensions bar
    325867_pastedImage_1.png
  3. nothing happens – no message, no screen change, no error.
kbink
Community Contributor

Ditto, and I tried it from the quiz page and the preview page.  Nothing visible actually happens.  I'd love to see a short video of what it is supposed to do.  I'm wondering if our administrative setting are blocking this.  Typically we have to generate an access token to allow something from outside canvas to get into our access through the API.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kbink ...

If you go to the Google Chrome extension URL that  @peterfoxflick  provided above, he included three screen shots.  The first shows where the icon is located in the browser.  The other two are examples of what the quiz would look like after you click on the icon.

Also, are you using Legacy Quizzes or New Quizzes?   @gwied , same question to you, too.

gwied
Community Participant

Using Legacy Quizzes.

themidiman
Community Champion

Here's a video of me in the instructor role demonstrating the printability of some pretty hefty quizzes in terms of question count:

Enjoy