cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kendra_jarvis
Community Contributor

Printing Canvas quiz

A teacher came by today and asked if there was a way to print a quiz. I had never done this before. I found two ways:

1.Click on Preview and print from there but it wouldn't look clean. In a pinch it would work.

1. Preview the quiz and Ctrl+P change your printer to Save as PDF and then print. The result is clean.

Any other ideas?

68 Replies
thebert
Community Contributor

In Chrome I selected Print before and after I selected Preview. Though I didn't print the quiz, the print preview Chrome provides was good enough for me.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kendra_jarvis ​...

You might want to check out the 28 minute 36 second mark of this video: to see what Instructure is working on for printing quizzes.  Also, there is a good discussion happening here: Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine

tmathew
Community Member

Previewing the Quiz and printing from the browser doesn't look like it will work for Drop-down or matching questions. Should I quit looking for solutions, or should I quit?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@tmathew , I've been looking at this as a possible option for printing quizzes in Canvas - Paperscorer (there's a free version for educators). I haven't tried it yet to see what types of questions work/don't work with it, but it might be worth checking out. In addition, the new quizzing tool in Canvas does have printing and is currently in Beta. The last I heard it will be released end of this year/early next year.

tmathew
Community Member

Will check it out, Kona, thanks!

sheldonj1
Community Contributor

For a simple multiple choice exam it does, indeed, work.  Ctrl+p in FF provided the normal print options.

However, for me it had to be published first and then there is a green preview box at the top.

james

dejonghed07
Community Champion

Here's a method that uses the free version of Respondus: https://www.respondus.com/download/respondus_le.shtml

Steps that worked for me:

1. Export a quiz in Canvas under Settings>Export Course Content
  2. Install Respondus LE and click Open
  3. Select "Files of Type: xml, qti" and Browse your computer for the exported quiz
  4. Once imported, you can edit, print or save as txt, rtf or Word

Hopefully Quizzes.Next will launch soon and we won't need a workaround!

sheldonj1
Community Contributor

Well....... just thought I'd mention that the LE version is ...."old" ... designed in the MS(tm) WinXP(tm) era.

And that is OK!! MS(tm) is giving the gentle user "a taste" of what can be done with the whole application (paid for).

What was posted about what needs to be done to get a functional, printable, exam is correct but it will "take some fiddling" as it were.

This whole thread really should possibly spark a more general discussion about whether Canvas needs to "be all things to all people".

There is an old adage in the world of Linux that is something like this:  "one job one app" or "one need one app".

There is nothing wrong with that approach.

The only thing "wrong with it" is that..... "people" always "want more" and.....to make MONEY...the developers always have to "provide more".

And sometimes that leads to destruction because the weight of all the "top hamper" becomes unwieldy.

There are a LOT ....i mean..........a LOT of proprietary and non-proprietary "test generators" running around in the world of software ....

and a LOT of the FREE as in "free beer"  software really is first rate and some of it is....not so much....

The really GOOD software that does not have a "bunker mentality" and tries to FORCE people to use it and ONLY it... whether it be commercial or FOSS really is.......good........

AND.....if one thinks about it....

think of the lowly "pencil".... a pencil is a pencil is a pencil.......but we have BAJILLION of different shapes, colours, sizes, implementations, etc...

but a pencil is a pencil...

and the same for a "test generator".

The ONLY REAL REASON.....to have a "keep the buyer in MY STABLE" is because of a particular implementation of deploying the "test bank" which is provide by...guess who.......the book publishers.

I............PERSONALLY............have a "book" that..........was published in the late fifties.....

Oh my gaawwly.......fifties........WHY IS HE EVEN MENTIONING that piece of DECAYED, STOOPID., USELESS piece of drek!!??

One reason and only one reason.

WHEN IT COMES RIGHT DOWN TO IT............

"the parts of the cell are the parts of the cell"....at the high school level or the entering "terminal" biology class.  The nucleus is the nucleus and that is that for those students.

The "noun" is a person, place or thing........although maybe not nowadays....but anyway............

BASIC CLASSES have rather definable information.

So............ this BIG LONG POST DEVOLVES TO....

A).......JUST WHO............actually USES Canvas for more than grade keeping, posting syllabi, etc. ?

i) a person who uses a "provided test bank" as required by the department

ii) a person who "makes up tests to suit the class"

It does not really matter which ....

If one looks at in a cold and calculating manner.

A) the teacher has to "make a test".

B) the teacher has one of two choices

i) use a provided test bank

ii) make it up whole cloth or using a test bank to provide the basis of the test.

B) The teacher wants to NOT MAKE IT AGAIN....if possible...in other words.........save the test for next semester.

Does it matter whether the test is "made in Canvas" or "in a test generator" in terms of doing either of those with the caveat that a bureaucrat above the teacher says.......DO THIS OR FEEL MY WRATH!! ?

No.

So......to finish this off....

Would it be worth discussion to have a discussion about......hmmm that's kind of like Snoopy skating around on the ice covered pond! Smiley Happy

Would it be worth discussion to:

a) have EACH AND EVERY stakeholder here at Canvas NOW and IN THE FUTURE .....to provide:

a) the name of their available test generating programs (  proprietary and non-proprietary) AND the "export" file type.

b) that "Canvas" provide a HARD LINK to the LISTING of the aforementioned test generators and the exports thereof.

c) and that the Canvas devs then concentrate on the programming to IMPORT the said exam file types FLAWLESSLY.........as in FLAWlessly....

d) or, given that proprietary software sometimes makes it IMPOSSIBLE to "export / import" "completely"....that the developers then CLEARLY STATE that........maybe...."you can make a multiple choice and a matching but you cannot include an image".

Dunno...........this is all just a suggestion.

Of little worth.

And, as always, if anyone wishes to comment on my REALLY, REALLY LOOOONNNNGGGG post, please so do. Smiley Happy

james sheldon

sheldonj1
Community Contributor

LOL.........stream of consciousness!!

THE BOOK........ was made of NOTHING BUT QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS about chemistry.

WITH EACH QUESTION............ having a "symbol" next to it that....it applied to "this book" or "these books".

In other words..... one book to govern them all....oops....that's Lord of the Rings...sorry... lol...

Ummmmm the company was bought out by a book publisher and it.......disappeared.... lol

james sheldon