Reply textbox missing in Discussion

Jump to solution
blaise_mitsutam
Community Member

In a published course, the Reply textbox that allows students to add comments in Discussions is missing. So students can read the instructions for the Discussion, but can't add their replies. The Reply textbox is available in the teacher's view. Not available in Student View.

Students had been able to comment in Discussions a week ago. This problem appears to have started this week.

I have:

• verified that the Discussions are published.
  • verified that the modules are published.
  • verified the Start Date and End Date for the course.
  • added Start Dates/End Dates, and removed Start Dates/End Dates.
  • verified that the Discussions are not "closed for comments."
  • viewed the course in Microsoft Edge browser and FireFox browser. I refuse to install the Chrome browser because on a previous computer it hi-jacked the position of default browser and I couldn't uninstall it, no matter how hard I tried, including registry entries. But that's a story for a different time.

Any ideas?

Blaise

Labels (1)
2 Solutions
crafte
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @blaise_mitsutam ‌, have you checked with your Canvas admin to find out what term dates have been set at the account level? Did you check the box 'Users can only participate in this course between these dates' below the course end date you entered? If you enter a course end date but you do not check the box mentioned above, you will not be able to overwrite a term end date set by your Canvas admin. 

View solution in original post

Hi, Elisabeth

Thanks for your response. Smiley Happy

I will also be checking with our Canvas admin today. I did check Course Details and the End Date is June 8, 2017. The "Users can only participate in the course between these dates" checkbox is checked. There is a statement below this checkbox that states "This will override any term availability settings."

I'm pulling my hair trying to think of what might be causing this. I'll post the solution when I find it.

Blaise

View solution in original post