Student Created Quizzes

Jump to solution
amanda_taintor
Community Contributor

I had a faculty pose a great instructional strategy she uses in her face to face course, we are trying to figure out how to replicate in the online environment.  I have some ideas but want to see what this AMAZING group recommends.

1) Students read the chapter/content

2) Create their own individual questions for that chapter OR (and we like this option much better if possible) split students into  groups and have the group propose 10 different quiz questions. 

3)Have the class vote for the top 5-10 quiz questions for that week's chapter

Bonus points if you know of an easy (or even possible) way for students to create the questions in a quiz and then have those top 10 move into a quiz

Thanks!

Amanda Taintor 

Labels (1)
1 Solution
kroeninm
Community Champion

I don't have an integrated way to make this happen in Canvas (though I suspect someone smart might be able to use a Google doc to do something magical). But, a few ideas...

If students are "voting" on questions, then the tools that come to mind to me are Tricider and Dotstorming as a way to brainstorm and then vote.  I've used Tricider often and it works well for the social brainstorming and voting functionality.  The voting could also be done via "likes" in a Canvas discussion.  I think Dotstorming does something similar.  

The voting seems to be the most difficult aspect to me so that is where I would start.  

Another option to look at is Google.  I worked with one instructor that had students submit questions via a Google form to ensure good formatting and then displayed them in an embedded document in Canvas so students could study the questions.  Then he could easily copy and paste the questions into Canvas.  He didn't have the voting option though.

Finally, there is a web-based tool somewhere that coordinates the student generation of quiz questions as it's primary purpose.  I'll see if I can find it in my bookmarks again and share it.  I can't remember if it was free and what features it had.

- Melanie

View solution in original post