Student Device Preferences

mmoore1
Community Contributor

I recently attended a webinar called “Student Device Preferences for Online Course Access and Multimedia Learning”, and it tied in nicely to my presentation from this past summer about using mobile devices to increase student engagement in the online classroom.  The research that was completed at Oregon State University’s Ecampus has some interesting results from its 2035 respondents such as  . . .

• Nearly 100% of the respondents owned some form of a smartphone. (only 3 students did not) And 99% owned laptops.
  • Students preferred laptops for accessing their LMS (73%), Viewing video (68%), and learning with games and simulations (59%).
  • Devices such as laptops and desktops appear to be the best choice of study for effective results

I am inferring from the study too that students seem to understand that the Laptop and Desktop are more effective; however, they would prefer a mobile device such as a tablet or smartphone for the convenience and perhaps ease of use.

I am not sure that this is overwhelmingly new research in this study, but it does seem to be a nice reference as it is recent research and a leading online program.   Perhaps more mobile learning environments will be created in the future to accommodate the preference.  If you would like to learn more about the study, please refer to the attached PDF or Oregon State's Ecampus reasearch team.

I have been asked to share this research, and I welcome any feedback.

1 Comment