Teacher Appreciation 2018 | Home Page Templates

lphilips
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

To: Our Amazing Teachers

We feel that a well-designed course home page can inspire students to engage more deeply and quickly with learning materials. In appreciation for all that you do, we have created two customizable home page templates that you are free to use in your courses as-is, modify as desired, and share with others. 

We hope these home page templates will support your endeavors in crafting an exceptional online learning experience for both you, and your students!

Grades K5 Grades 6-12
K5 Homepage Screenshot 275297_pastedImage_1.png

Includes

• Home Page with editable course title, course banner, and "Welcome" text placeholder
  • 3 Customizable Buttons:  Learn | Help | Parents
  • Directions on how to modify template buttons and banner
  • "Welcome to Class" student Module with content page templates: Support & Parent Resources 

Includes

• Home Page with editable course title, course banner, and "Welcome" text placeholder
  • 3 Customizable Buttons: About Your Teacher | Class Resources | Learning Modules
  • Directions on how to modify template buttons and banner
  • "Welcome to Class" student Module with content page templates: About Your Teacher & Class Resources 

File Access

Click on the link below to download the template from Canvas Commons ( How do I import and view a Commons resource in Can...  )

K5 Teacher Appreciation Home Page Template 

File Access

Click on the link below to download the template from Canvas Commons (How do I import and view a Commons resource in Can...  )

6-12 Teacher Appreciation Home Page Template 

More Appreciation from the Instructional Design Team

Please comment below. We’d love to hear from you!

If you would like to learn more about our services, please contact your CSM.

54 Comments
Bobby2
Community Champion

Many thanks for the share Lily. I've passed this on to a few people. It will be a good starting point for some people who are new to Canvas.

lphilips
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you  @Bobby2  for your comment and for sharing the templates with others. Hopefully, they will find them to be of some use as they begin to explore and design their Canvas courses. 😃

MattHanes
Community Champion

Thanks for this! I will definitely be showing this to my elementary folks. We are really struggling with adoption in the elementary schools.

Bobby2
Community Champion

@MattHanes we face a similar challenge. Do you have a plan to address this?

MattHanes
Community Champion

I don't really. I was a high school teacher so putting myself in the shoes of an elementary school teacher has always been a bit of a challenge for me. I'm just trying to make it as easy to get started as I can. I build their courses and update their rosters using the SIS imports so everything is already there. Honestly, the biggest hurdle has been the parent accounts. Teachers of younger students are more interested in communicating with parents than the students using tools like Canvas or Seesaw or Remind. I think once we get the Parent 2.0 changes, we might be able to tackle that again. 

Another approach I'm taking is introducing Canvas as "an app for your school" to get the administrators on board. So I build "school-wide" courses that have all the students that administrators can use to communicate with all students via the Canvas apps. I'm hoping to get more of the elementary admins on board after a meeting with them this summer. 

Bobby2
Community Champion

Sounds like you are doing an amazing job  @MattHanes 

And I completely agree re parent connections. Mind you, they are terribly important and teachers need to be praised for finding tools that help to make those links between home and school. Like you, I can't wait for the 2.0 changes.

hunter
Community Novice

This is fabulous. Thanks for sharing.

lphilips
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you hunter‌! 😃 

schachernp
Community Contributor

Thank you Deactivated user‌ for the AWESOME resources!  And thanks to those that commented too!!  You thoughts and ideas can be just as helpful!!  Thanks to everyone!! 

kmeeusen
Community Champion

This is what "Community" is all about! In fact, you put the "unity" in community!

Thank you for the sharing!

Kelley

tobe_baeyens
Community Contributor

This is great. I love the link to the image in Google Drive on the customise page. I didn't know about this. I've tried something similar with

1. Canva. The problem is that most teachers do need to make an account.
  2. PowerPoint. If you right click on an object or group in PowerPoint you can save it as an image. This is another easy way to create simple buttons.

I do prefer this Google Draw thing. It's just there. One click and you can start editing.

lphilips
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you  @tobe_baeyens ‌! I've found myself alternating between PowerPoint and Google Draw, depending on the need of the project. I do hope that Microsoft creates a Google Draw equivalent in the near future. And if anyone knows of one, please let me know! 😃 

jlubkinchavez
Community Contributor

Thanks, Lily and team. I wonder if you can point me to any additional resources on developing homepages that are visually engaging AND accessible. Thanks!

lphilips
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi  @jel72 ‌! Thanks so much for reaching out. 😃 

As I work through the design of a home page, I typically have a few different accessibility and graphic design resources at my fingertips. Below, you will find some of my “go to” resources that, hopefully, aid in your own design process. 

Accessibility Focus

Engaging Design Focus

I hope this information finds you well! 

-Lily

Profe_Amatore
Community Member

Awesome!!!!😁

Janetbailey
Community Member

My template is highlighted in red and I am unable to download it onto my IPad. Any suggestions?

RLP69
Community Member

Great Work

Bonita
Community Member

Thank you so much for all you do.

Mr-E
Community Member

there would be no teachers if there wasn't someone wanting to learn...

Mr-E
Community Member

Fire burn and cauldron bubble...

swill186
Community Novice

Thank you for the information. I am sure this will be helpful as I get into my course. It is good to read those of you who appear more knowledgable on this topic. 

gclarke2
Community Member

Thanks for the templates!

MrSwitz
Community Member

Help,

So below is the comment I've been getting and which has made it impossible for me to down load the sample home page template. Been trying to do this for hours now.

Adobe Acrobat Reader could not open '6-12-teacher-appreciation-gift-export (5).imscc' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@MrSwitz 

The reason you are experiencing difficulty is that the .imscc package needs to be imported into a Canvas course as detailed in Part 1 of the blog post (the instructions provide the link to How do I import a Canvas course export package?). Once you have the template imported into a Canvas course shell (sandbox), you will be able to modify it to suit your needs.

williare2
Community Participant

How do you control the size of your buttons?  It seems like you must create the image the size you want outside of Canvas, and then it comes in without you fiddling in the RCE or HTML?

I am having trouble with mine coming into Canvas large and then I try to adjust- at first using pixels and then trying to use percentage of screen width in order to accommodate for different devices...though that might not have worked out well on a cell phone...it didnt work anyway.

I was able to use a table and then set size by pixels inside the table, but I am concerned with the screen reader.  I understand Canvas doesnt annotate their tables in ways that the screen readers relate to.  That sounds like an interface between developers that needs to work better.

Any help appreciated- williare2@pwcs.edu!

kimberlywinget
Community Member

Can you download a page that is already set up, and ready to go? Do you have to make your page from scratch? 

Kimberly Winget

SMD
Community Novice

The pages really look great!

mheffernan50
Community Member

Wow this really gave me lots of ideas to update my Home Page. Thanks so much for reminding me to make it interesting for my students

missmarymack
Community Member

I'm new to Canvas! I love these teacher home page templates! Beautiful!

mheffernan50
Community Member

I am writing a Homepage for a new course and there are many helpful suggestions here Still have much to learn. Thanks for the support2012-09-06.jpg

ebyrd1
Community Novice

All of it

just wonderful....

wscc-1
Community Novice

Great ideas for home page templates.

AntonioDonabo
Community Member

I am having trouble downloading the Teacher Appreciation Gift Template. I tried clicking on it, but nothing happens. I was almost successful once until it asked me to look for a software to use to open it. Then I was at a loss because I didn't know which software to pick? A little message box appears that asks me to choose an app to open it. What do I do?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@AntonioDonabo The template package, once downloaded, needs to be imported into a Canvas course. The step-by-step directions in the blog post should help with that.

KarenHillNCH
Community Novice

We are new to CANVAS this year and your posts are  helping me learn so I can teach my students how to use it as well.  Many thanks!

Miska81
Community Member

I'm not sure if I'm doing this incorrectly, but each time I click on the link to access the download, it just cycles back to this page without initiating a download of the template. Is there another way to access the template perhaps? 

JoyceZhao
Community Member

I downloaded the template, but couldn't open it. I wonder what app should I use to open it. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@JoyceZhao  The reason you are experiencing difficulty is that the .imscc package needs to be imported into a Canvas course as detailed in Part 1 of the blog post (the instructions provide the link to How do I import a Canvas course export package?). Once you have the template imported into a Canvas course shell (sandbox), you will be able to modify it to suit your needs.

MsAmandaStewart
Community Novice

I am having the same issue as Miska81 above was having. When I click on the 6-12 page link, it circles back to this page and does not initialize download. Can someone suggest a help on this as I would like to try to use these templates if possible?

Thanks!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Miska81 and @MsAmandaStewart , we've just updated the File Access section of the blog so the links now direct to the resources in Commons; that should make the download process much easier moving forward. Hope this helps!

DiannePolly
Community Novice

I am unable to download pix on my old computer, but these are good ideas when I get my real computer back

SashaMosley
Community Member

good

SashaMosley
Community Member

very  good

SashaMosley
Community Member

GOOD

SashaMosley
Community Member

OK

SashaMosley
Community Member

THIS  IS  FOR  ELEMENTARY   SCHOOL   TEACHERS.......

Dwhitley1959
Community Member

These are some great ideas.  Can't wait to try them on my Canvas page. 😁

TeresaMMartine
Community Member

Thank you for the templates, very helpful.

RickPuzio
Community Novice

Thank you for the templates

TaniaRomeroVil
Community Novice

Very useful I must wait for Elementary but now I have some ideas.