Using Google in Canvas

jperkins
Instructure
Instructure

UPDATE - January 2017

If you haven't already taken a look at the new Google LTI integration, it does a pretty good job at replacing a lot of the things below. So before you check out the below links, I'd recommend seeing if the integration will suit your/your instructor's needs better.

I get questions on how Canvas and Google work together all the time. So in order to help fulfill this need, I've decided to create this resource. I'm going to be creating this initial document with the idea that it will be reference page for all things google. If you have a use case for google that I don't include, please create a document of your own detailing the use, message me and I will include the link here. Let's work together to create a great resource on how to use Google in Canvas!

Google Docs

Google Slides

Google Drive

Google Drawings

• Use Google Drawings to Create Banners and Buttons for Canvas

23 Comments
kona
Community Champion

What a great resource! Thanks for doing all this  @jperkins ​!!

cadatko
Community Novice

Thank you so much!

jonathan_carlyo
Community Novice

Thanks for this page. I am going to link to it. I just embedded a google drawing into a Canvas Page. It's great idea to use as a button and banner. Some faculty may also just use it for data visualizing, such as mind maps or diagrams. I also hope to be able to embed data from Fusion tables.

jonathan_carlyo
Community Novice

By the way, what I also like about embedding is that one can use the same embed code for any quiz question. So, if I have a bank with all the embed codes to my google drawings, I can easily add this line of code within the html editor (anywhere, really: but for a quiz, it makes sense as way to easily remind students of the context for which the question is being posed).

jonathan_carlyo
Community Novice

Dear Group, here is a video I made for my colleagues in Liberal Arts. Please let me know what you think, and how I can improve. I am trying to link to more the Canvas videos, professionally-made by Instructure. They're a great help (and I'm still learning how to use Camtasia).  @jperkins , thanks for getting this page started.

emily
Community Champion

Does anyone know a way of using a Google form for assignment submission? I know how to embed the form into the assignment description, but Canvas doesn't register that as a submission.  I would like either a link to the record created by the form, or a copy/snapshot of the form contents to be associated with the assignment in Canvas, so I can open SpeedGrader, see what the student wrote on the form, and grade it.

clong
Community Champion

I'm not aware of a way to do this Emily, but it would be nice if we could.

kona
Community Champion

Instead of an actual form, what I do is create a template with the questions, have the students create their own copy, answer the questions, and then submit their document via an Assignment. It seems to work pretty good!

nealc62
Community Member

I use a Google Form, and a Google Spreadsheet, in a course, and it works great. Added an External URL on the Modules page and it opens/functions in an iFrame in Canvas.

nealc62
Community Member

Love this resource. Nicely done Jeremy!

carrie
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I use Google Draw a lot to create banners and buttons. Setting a transparent background and exporting to jpeg makes it painless to create high quality buttons. Plus the standard Google "copy" function makes it easy and quick to create a series of buttons using the same format (i.e. a Week 1, Week 2, Week 3 series of home page graphics).

Great post! Thanks,  @jperkins ​.

saw2112
Community Novice

Anyone have any tips for using Google Earth in Canvas?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

All, saw2112 has posted the same question at  Google Earth in Canvas   In order to avoid duplication of effort, and so that we can keep Community resources unified, please contribute any tips you might have about using Google Earth in Canvas to Sarah's separate discussion.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

For those of you interested in exchanging your Google tips and tricks with other teachers, or who want to pick up some new ideas,  @tmercer ​'s CanvasLIVE​ Twitter chat #Canvas4Elem: Getting Googley with Canvas is coming up this week, on Tuesday, October 11, 2016. Please RSVP if you plan to attend--and if you're interested, but your schedule doesn't allow you to participate in the live tweeting, RSVP anyway to receive notifications of comments to the event.

tmercer
Community Novice

This is wonderful!  Everyone let's start collaborating!

emily_liepe
Community Novice

Hi there! I've been trying to figure out how to make an embedded Google Doc responsive to mobile devices in both the Canvas app and mobile browsers, and I wondered if anyone else shares this experience? I feel like there is probably an obvious answer that I'm missing and wanted to share and explore.

(By the way, does anyone know if Design Tools templates are responsive?)

I've been testing a lot of ideas but haven't succeeded in achieving what I want just yet. The document I'm using to test is a giant chart (table-based, unfortunately) created as a Google Doc that has a list of PD opportunities in our district. Some of our departments are using it to collaboratively update information re: PD opportunities and they've put a lot of work into it...so I'm trying to find the best way to get this document to render well on mobile devices because we will have a public link to it on our website.

The best embedded behavior I've found so far has just been the width="100%" with preview mode and the native Google embed code. On my laptop (Mac 10.11.6, Chrome) the document will resize for smaller windows within Canvas (which is important for viewing on our 11" Chromebook screens.) However, on the mobile devices I'm testing with (iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.5, Chrome/Safari and ZenPhone, Android 5.0 Chrome/ASUS), the document does not resize when embedded, and the best option I've found is just to have with a link to the doc in preview mode, which works...but adds an extra step for users and designers.

This is one of the other things I tried, with various padding percentages, and it may be totally off...I'm not entirely proficient with CSS and HTML. (Open to any suggestions!) I feel like this worked less well than just using width="100%" bc it just made the iFrame responsive and not the Google Doc:

<--!

<style type="text/css">

body {

margin:0;

padding0;

background:#000;

}

.panorama {

position:relative;

padding-bottom:90%;

height:0;

overflow:hidden;

}

.panorama iframe {

position:absolute;

top:0;

left:0;

width:100%;

height:100%;

}

</style>

<div class="panorama">

<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/.../pub?embedded=true&pageview=1" width="100%" height="1000" frameborder="0" style="border:0"></iframe>

</div> -->

Has anyone struggled (and maybe achieved victory?) with embedding responsive, mobile-friendly Google Docs in Canvas?

-Emily

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

CanvasLIVE​ has launched a series of presentations on the new Google Apps LTI, and you'll find the complete lineup of events here. (And we'll promote each individual event in this space as its date approaches.) RSVP “yes” to an event if you will be there--and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" to receive all event updates. Your RSVP ensures that you will receive a notification should the event be cancelled or changed.

cadatko
Community Novice

Your resources have helped a lot, Jeremy! Thanks so much!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

The next installment in the CanvasLIVE‌ series on the Google Apps LTI is coming up on Friday, February 3, 2017: Google LTI Series: Accessing Your Assets. Click on the event link to RSVP “yes” if you will be there--and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" to receive all event updates. Your RSVP ensures that you will receive a notification should the event be cancelled or changed.

johnmartin
Community Champion

Thanks  @jperkins ! This is a great set of resources on using Google Apps. The Spring 2017 Google Apps LTI Integration is still broken for our institution as documented here: Canvas Google Apps LTI authorization failures , so I'm glad this resource is still up.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

@johnmartin ‌, my iFrame embeds are working, just created them today. Also the LTI integration is working. But it is recommended on the release notes https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8732-canvas-release-google-apps-lti that the older Google Drive web service be disabled for the site, maybe that's the problem with your iFrames? Hope not.  "The Google Drive web service should be disabled by a Canvas admin in the Account Settings page. Retaining the web service may cause confusion for students, who would otherwise see tabs for both Google Drive and Google Doc when uploading a file submission."

I've been testing the LTI integration and it appears students have to authorize their own Google account even if the doc is shared to anyone with the link. When using the older embed code there is no need for students to log in to Google with that share setting.

johnmartin
Community Champion

The problem is not confusion, but is what you mentioned in your 2nd paragraph. The need to login — with their campus Google login — even if the doc is shared to anyone! That seems like Canvas is putting up unnecessary barriers to learning. 

sghar001
Community Novice

this was a great info. Helped me a-lot.