What is that random block of HTML at the end of the page?

Jump to solution
stevensons
Community Contributor

First things first: this is not a critical question, but it is driving me a little bit nuts. I also haven't been successful in Googling an answer, so I wondered if anyone else has noticed this and has more knowledge than I do about it. Smiley Happy

I've seen that Canvas sometimes adds this block of HTML at the end of a given page, sometimes several times in a row. I don't know what it is or what it does, and it doesn't seem to result in anything visible:

<p><span style="text-indent: 20px; width: auto; padding: 0px 4px 0px 0px; text-align: center; font: bold 11px/20px 'Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,sans-serif; color: #ffffff; background: #bd081c  no-repeat scroll 3px 50% / 14px 14px; position: absolute; z-index: 8675309; display: none; cursor: pointer;">Save</span></p>

I have seen this occasionally happen in the Wordpress visual editor, too. What the heck is it?? WHY is it there? Mostly I just go into the HTML source and delete them (which also seems to have no apparent effect). Obviously since it doesn't appear to "do" anything, it isn't critical, but it does result in randomly long code as more and more of them appear. Another block seems to show up every time I go in to edit a page.

If someone is able to answer this question I will express my ultimate gratitude by...bestowing a badge. :smileygrin:

2 Solutions
kroeninm
Community Champion

It's probably as AnnMarie mentioned, due to what happens earlier in the page.  I looked in two of my courses for this term and neither has this code at the bottom of the page so probably due to a copy/paste from Word and Canvas trying to match your formatting.

The only thing that looks odd is that "Save".  Did you perhaps copy from another page in Canvas without being in edit view?  That will add odd code as well.  When you copy from Canvas to Canvas, be sure to be in edit mode.  

- Melanie

View solution in original post

stevensons
Community Contributor

Thanks for the input! Yes, I am used to the horrible messes that occur when you cut and paste from Word, so I can definitely rule that out. (In fact, something I love about Canvas is that it is really good at stripping that stuff out.) No--this occurs even if I have clean code that I'm cutting and pasting from the source code of another Canvas page. It is so weird. Smiley Happy

Interestingly, ishar-uw‌, now that you've made the button visible, it looks a bit like the Pinterest Save icon that shows up when I hover over a graphic. I do have a Pinterest bookmark shortcut, so I wonder if it could be interfering in some way.

View solution in original post