Automated QTI-based quiz generation using a Mac — it is possible

canvas_voyager
Community Explorer

Problem:  Few if any tools are available to generate QTI packages on a Mac — I'm not aware of any. While it is possible to run Respondus in a virtual environment, it is cumbersome and not practical for the majority of people. For me, it is just too much of a headache to create or modify quizzes using this approach.

Solution: Create a solution using FileMaker.

I have been developing my own solution over the past several years. It has finally matured to the point that I feel comfortable sharing it / determining if there is even interest. The database houses all the questions I've ever used for exams, quizzes, and homework assignments (currently >900) — it is trivial to add new questions or make changes.

I've posted a PDF feature file if anyone is interested in learning about the solution and potentially giving it a try.

Things to consider:

• Besides serving as a platform for question management, probably the most significant feature people might be interested in is the ability to create and post a classic quiz on Canvas (via the API) with a single click without ever logging into Canvas. The time it takes to accomplish this can range from 5-30 seconds — it simply depends on Canvas server load at any given time. What used to be a huge time sink, now takes seconds to post a complete quiz with all the desired settings.
  • Importantly, you control your own data. Database questions are not stored on Canvas. There is no need to export, re-import, or create a Question Bank. If your institution changes platforms, you won't be struck waiting for an import/export solution. As such, your data is portable and can be exported for use in another context.
  • This brings me to 'New Quizzes'. It appears that Instructure is delaying the transition to their revised question model. Currently one cannot even export a 'New Quiz' and there is no published API (yet). However, once these two things are available, I will likely make script modifications that enable integration. The difficulty of doing so remains to be seen. However, if it is QTI-based, it should be straight forward.
  • If structured correctly, the database can import any questions you already have as long as they are in a CSV, TAB, Microsoft Excel, or FileMaker format. While importing takes seconds, the time it takes to accomplish a successful import depends on how your data is structured. I'm happy to make a template, but won't do so unless someone is interested.

One final note, there are a number of posted questions relating to QTI packages and quiz import (API or otherwise) in the forum where the 'approved' solution says it isn't possible or that one cannot create a QTI package without a pricey piece of proprietary, single-use software. This comes from well-intentioned individuals trying to be helpful. Unfortunately, in this context, they are wrong. For clarification, it isn't lost on me that FileMaker is one such costly piece of software, but I use daily for a variety of other tasks. The software is worth EVERY penny.

So, if someone is interested and already has FileMaker (some institutions may have a site license or one can download a free demo from FileMaker), please make a post and let me know. If there isn't any interest, I'll avoid the effort of generalizing my database for use by others.

Cheers

6 Comments
Oliver69
Community Member

The QTI standard defines a format for the exchange of assessment content between different learning platforms, such as item banks, learning management systems, and assessment platforms. The data model dictates the structure of questions, assessments, and results using XML data binding.

canvas_voyager
Community Explorer

@Wren91

I cannot tell from your post if you are interested in a solution or not. In my limited experience, those that need this type of software the most are those least likely to search a Canvas forum. Those who are deeply embedded in the forum are not typically end users (some are I suppose). As such, there may be an academic and cursory interest, but I've concluded that the Canvas forum has limited value in this context. As you note, the technical moxie of some Canvas moderators seems to be bound to searching the forum, finding nothing, posting it is 'not possible' and tagging the question with an immutable 'approved'. To be clear, I am not a programmer by trade, but no expensive software is needed to engage the API or post questions/quizzes. All can be accomplished with freely available platform-independent software. However, few, if any, will invest the time/energy to piece together a solution. I've used Filemaker to design my database and created scripts to do the heavy lifting and communication with Canvas — I have been using it for years. The database is now available on Github. No one has reported any issues or problems. I interpret this to mean that no one has used/tried it. I developed it for my own use and use it with all my classes. It is a mature 'work in progress'. As a bonus, it will even import questions from posted Canvas quizzes in a few seconds. As the thread title says, QTI packages can be generated (it's just compressed XML) and automatically posted to Canvas. If you want to see for yourself, download the database and give it a try — I include a few format-type sample questions to try out. The Canvas API has limits, but it is reasonably well documented for those interested in the steep learning curve and a LOT of trial and error in equal measure.

Database on Github: Any Questions 

Canvas Posts: Offline question/quiz database management for Canvas 

Create and Remotely Manage Canvas Quizzes — no login required 

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you @canvas_voyager for your post and sharing this resource. Yes, the absence of a QTI creator for Mac users is frustrating. I've seen suggestions to purchase a license for Respondus, but regardless of its cost is not available for the Mac. I'm glad to see how you have used Filemaker as a way to meet this need. I hope that the other users interested in this provide encouragement.

sjbrill
Community Member

I am on a Mac trying to export quiz content as QTI for the purpose of importing into a question bank. When I export and download I get folders with .xml files essentially as in this post https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Question-Forum/Quiz-export-not-downloading-as-QTI-file/m-p....  Please, any help is greatly appreciated.

canvas_voyager
Community Explorer

From where are you trying to export? To where are you trying to import? Canvas or Any Questions? 

I'm not sure why you would want to export a quiz for reimport into a Canvas question bank if that is your intent. Isn't this an internal Canvas option?

A 'QTI' file is simply a set of compressed folders/xml files that are zipped. If you are exporting a quiz from Canvas, my guess .... the compressed QTI file is being automatically uncompressed following download. What browser are you using? I recall this is an option that can be disabled in Safari, but haven't used Safari in years.

Alternatively, simply select the folder (i.e. quiz_folder) in the MacOS Finder and Control-click. Then select 'compress' from the drop down menu. This will create a file named 'quiz_folder.zip'. The zipped file can now be uploaded to Canvas.

LeeAllison
Community Member

I am interested in this. I am new to an institution that uses canvas and it is frustrating to find there's no solution for moving quiz content into a bank.