Dear Teacher/Professor: Change the Due Date

aamundson
Instructure
Instructure

Dear Teacher/Professor,

How often do you need to adjust or change a due date for an assignment? Canvas has a few easy ways to change due dates!

If you want to quickly change one due date (ie. “Oh we’re not going to be ready for that assignment on Thursday, let's bump it to Friday!”), go to the Calendar and “drag and drop” the assignment from Thursday to Friday.  Canvas will then:

1. Notify the student (if the student has set their Notification Preferences for Due Date Changes),
  2. Adjust the assignment information in your course,
  3. Adjust the students’ To-Do list on the Dashboard and Course Home Page, and
  4. Adjust the Syllabus.

However, that only works if you are worried about a single due Due Date.  You cannot drag and drop the “Available From” and “Available Until” dates.

What if you want to adjust ALL the assignment dates (or the due dates for several assignments) at the same time! You can quickly adjust multiple dates using the Edit Assignment Dates option from your Assignment Index Page.  Just like dragging and dropping, Canvas will then:

1. Notify the student (if the student has set their Notification Preferences for Due Date Changes),
  2. Adjust the assignment information in your course,
  3. Adjust the students’ To-Do list on the Dashboard and Course Home Page, and
  4. Adjust the Syllabus.

Hopefully this tip can help you feel more comfortable and confident using Canvas in your planning!

Best,

The Canvas Training Team

4 Comments
richard_gardner
Community Participant

We had snow day. Everything needs to be delayed one class period. Class is MWF. So Monday's assignments are now due on Wednesdays. Wednesday's assignments are now due on Fridays. And Friday's assignments are now due on Mondays. The edit assignment dates seems to be able to make everything due two days later. That is ok for moving Monday to Wed or Wed to Friday. But Friday to Monday is a 3 day change, not a two day change. How can I move everything by 2 or 3 days depending on MW vs. F?

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@aamundson -

Thanks for the blog about this feature.  However, I would like to make a suggestion that the feature be improved by putting the time in there as well.  

It would be nice to be able to use this feature as a quick check for all assignments and quizzes to make sure the dates and times are correct

EthanDeceuster
Community Member

@Ron_Bowman Cidi Labs has a Due Date Modifier feature in the DesignPLUS product that allows you to adjust dates and times for all course contents in one place.  DesignPLUS has loads of other great features too.  If you'd like to check out the Due Date Modifier, you can request a DesignPLUS sandbox course from Cidi Labs.

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@EthanDeceuster -

I am aware of DesignPlus - Unfortunately that cost money which I do not think my university would pay for.