Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Attention Everyone: A New Direction for CMUG

TD;LR:

We are rebooting CMUG to add more content, and opportunities to give input to the Canvas mobile team. We'd like your help!

The longer story...

@KristinL ​ and I have been working over the last month to "reboot" this user group. We have meet with Instructure a few times in person and online. This includes the Canvas Community team, the Canvas mobile team, and mobile PM.

Our main goal is to have everyone add more content, while highlighting the great members of this group and to give back to the entire community. To make this happen, we will be introducing some new sections.

Below highlights what we are proposing. We want to start a discussion with the following:

1. What do you think?
  2. Do you want to be involved with some or all of the following sections. We are now taking applications. (:

Canvas Mobile Show & Tell

Anything that show tips, tricks, or any piece of information that can be useful to the group/community when using the Canvas mobile apps or engaging with their users.

Mobile Moments

Select users will answer a set of questions describing the use of Canvas Mobile (or just mobile in general) in their classroom.

Meet CMUG

Select members of the group will answer a set of questions to help us learn more about each other.

Mobile Team Insights

Blog post written by the Canvas Mobile Product Manager or other members of the mobile team. This will include many different topics, from stories of life working at Instructure to technical post.

Exclusive Invitations to App Beta and Focus Groups

The CMUG will be the exclusive place to join app beta programs and invites to mobile focus groups.

Being involved with any of the above will include community points and possibly badges.

What won't change:

• Discussion will still be open. If you have a topic or issue, please discuss!
  • Vetting of mobile ideas within the group. This is a great way to get some momentum behind your idea. These are also looked at by the Canvas Mobile team.

CC: d21585h​, Deactivated user​,  @kona ​,  @dhulsey ​, cgaudreau​,  @RobDitto ​, jennifer_stevens​, awilliams​,  @ckofeldt ​,  @bcrook ​, stefaniesanders​,  @kmeeusen ​,  @jbrady2 ​, mlennox​,  @biray ​, Deactivated user​,  @mevans1 ​,  @scottdennis ​,  @janejump ​,  @tdarrow ​,  @Renee_Carney ​

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
17 Replies
ckofeldt
Advocate

I am excited about this possible new direction for CMUG. I would be happy to be involved in any way that I can, especially with the Canvas Mobile Show and Tell!

Thanks  @ckofeldt 

We definitely want you to be involved! We think you could share with most of these categories. We'll be in touch!

jbrady2
Community Champion

I would definitely like to be involved in any app betas and/or focus groups.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

I'm excited for the collaboration that will happen within CMUG!! :smileygrin:

d21585h
Community Contributor

I'm also looking forward to this next evolution! I do hope that the mobile moments can be broader and not just include Canvas only, but mobile education. As one who works in online education, my classroom is mostly virtual, so I'll be thinking about how we can adapt what works well with campus-based students to online students.

d21585h​, This is great feedback. We think it should be more than Canvas as well.

kenneth_rogers
Instructure
Instructure

I think this is a great direction to take things. I was a Bb Admin for a number of years focused on mobile initiatives on campus (student service applications as well as mobile learning), then I went to work for Bb, still with mobile as my main love, and now I am back on a campus supporting educational technologies across the enterprise, still with that desire for mobile.

I am on day 10 working in Canvas and in the community. As I get deeper and deeper with my Canvas knowledge, I'd love to help in any way possible. I am certainly not unfamiliar to any of these areas, even if some of them come from the Bb side of the house; ideas are transferable when it comes to growth and adoption, insights, etc. But goodness, I just want to know all you all know about the mobile apps Smiley Happy

I also love the idea of talking about other applications (or mobile integration points/pains); especially from third parties. We are currently running through a Bb Collaborate Ultra implementation pilot, and I was a tad confused as to why our end users had to use the Bb Student app for it to work on mobile. So, I texted a friend of mine at Bb for the answer - it's a somewhat dumb one (no surprises there), but this is an example of the type of third party conversation we could be having in this space.

Cheers, everyone.

-K

@kenneth_rogers ​,

Thanks for the introduction. It's always fun to see someone passionate about not just Canvas mobile, but mobile learning and technologies. Before using Canvas Mobile, I did a lot of support for the Blackboard App, and managed a Mosaic project as well. I think even though this is a Canvas Mobile User Group, it might be nice to know what Blackboard, D2L, and other are doing in the mobile space. Maybe you can help bridge this for the group?

Also, I agree, discussion on third party apps is also quite important. This group was created to discuss anything regarding Canvas Mobile. This not only includes the app, but integrations, and third party apps.

I think most people in the group are busy preparing for the beginning of the school year, so it's a bit of a quiet period, but let's keep the conversation going,  @KristinL ​ and I will definitely be in touch.

Thanks  @rseilham ​ and  @KristinL . Looking forward to help and share whatever knowledge I have (although my D2L is limited).

Definitely, let's talk soon. Maybe a Google Hangout?

I'd be down for that. I'll shoot you a message right quick.

peter_wiarda
Community Member

This sounds like it could be an excellent resource, especially the mobile Show & Tell, which I would be happy to be a part of!

That's wonderful, we can't wait and ANYONE in the group is welcome to be part of this. We'll follow up with more direction soon. Thanks!

PSU_Tony
Community Contributor

Sounds like a great idea Ryan. Your mobile advocacy is much appreciated! I look forward to it and helping out when needed!

Thanks! We'll definitely be in touch.

hottingert
Community Participant

Hello.  I really like the idea that you have proposed.  I know I am late to the dance but would love to help where I can.  I like the prospect of helping with app beta programs!

hottingert​ - That's great!! Keep an eye out for future announcements. If an opportunity arises, I'll be sure to loop you in.