cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
molly
Community Participant

Can the Canvas app (for Android) be used to take attendance?

Jump to solution

I downloaded the app and the basic functions work. However, I see that "Attendance" and several other functions (like Chat) have the same icon: a ruler and paintbrush (maybe?). The attendance function does not work---nothing shows on the screen when you select it. Does this mean that functions with this icon are still being developed and are not yet usable?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Molly,

The icon is for web-based LTI tools, which are only supported on iOS. This would be the base in the attendance tool (which is just a the Roll Call LTI).

The only built in tools that don't work in the app are Conference and Collaboration, but direct you to the web version of Canvas, which is not mobile optimized.

So in short, attendance will not work on Android, but does on iOS (but isn't mobile optimized).  Although I'm sure the Android team is working to support web-based LTIs in the future, I don't know of any plans to create a mobile optimized attendance tool. IMG_3797.PNG

iOS Attendance

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @molly ​...

I am going to move this topic over to the Canvas Mobile Users Group, because I think this question will get more activity over in that space.  I hope this is ok with you!

dhulsey
Community Champion

Hey, Molly! You are correct. The mobile app for Android does not have attendance or chat. These functions have the same icon, which I would guess means "under construction." Conferences are not supported in the app either, but there is a link  to open conferences in the browser. Additionally, the grades item is only supported for students; there is no way to see a mobile grade book in the app. Hopefully, these functions will be added in the future.

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Molly,

The icon is for web-based LTI tools, which are only supported on iOS. This would be the base in the attendance tool (which is just a the Roll Call LTI).

The only built in tools that don't work in the app are Conference and Collaboration, but direct you to the web version of Canvas, which is not mobile optimized.

So in short, attendance will not work on Android, but does on iOS (but isn't mobile optimized).  Although I'm sure the Android team is working to support web-based LTIs in the future, I don't know of any plans to create a mobile optimized attendance tool. IMG_3797.PNG

iOS Attendance

View solution in original post