cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Canvas App Not "Remembering" Selected Courses

Hi Canvas Mobile Users​! I have a question for you!

Our building (with 1:1 iPads) experiences a weird shuffling when students disconnect and reconnect from the WiFi. All courses, past and current enrollments, shuffle and reappear on their dashboard, regardless of their selected favorites. When Canvas doesn't "remember" which courses are current courses, the favorites are reset.

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

We've sent multiple tickets on this, but, while supportive, Instructure didn't have conclusive information.

The only thing I would suggest is testing the firewall to see what data is coming through when student's accessing the Wi-Fi. As long as the student is able to connect to the Wi-Fi, then the Canvas application will just function normal as it's intended to do so.

Has anyone else experienced this? If yes, were you able to prevent the shuffling with a specific setting on your firewall?

It's an ongoing student concern - and inconvenience. Any insight would be awesome!

Labels (1)
12 Replies
d21585h
Community Contributor

While I haven't had this specific problem before, previously when I've had odd app problems, uninstalling/deleting the app, doing a soft reset and then re-installing the app fixes the problem. Have you tried that?

Hi David!

Yes, we've done all of that. Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

After some investigating and lots of thinking, we think we solved the issue.

We've experienced this since the change in semester. It makes sense that the answer was found in our term end dates. We left our term  as "whenever" to allow students to make-up final exams as well as go back and see past assignments and information during second semester. We know that teachers can modify the dates of their course in Course Settings, but from an admin side, we thought that this would be easier.

We have since changed the term to actually end...and we'll change our best practices for the next Semester 1 to Semester 2 transition. ...if a teacher wants their students to access Semester 1 information, we'll walk them through the settings at the course level.

Capture1.JPG

Canvas mobile kept searching for current courses, and when these courses were currently open, they reappeared in the list.

As we work with students this week, we learned that this isn't a complete fix. For some students, the courses stay as needed. Others still experience the occasional shuffling. A couple students found success by selecting their favorites online using a desktop. It's an interesting situation for sure.

Once we find a sure fix, I'll repost.

Wow, that's an interesting. The way we use terms (or don't) at UCF it would be impossible for us to replicate this issue. Either way, the first video is oddly hypnotizing. ( : This would be a good thing to show the engineers at Instcon.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Check out the discussion of this here - Dashboard problems - and here - - and a reference I've seen to this, " Comment from Canvas Support: Hello! Currently there is an open issue where favorited web courses do not match in Canvas App. I've gone ahead and escalated this. We will update you when there is a fix for this in the app. Case #: 01363534 "

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Releasing 3.14.1 shortly - let us know if the problem continues after that update and we'll go to the plan B we discussed at InstructureCon.

bkraus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@KristinL ​ I am so curious as to if 3.14 fixed it or not! Any update?

Hi! I won't know for about a week. Students are not yet enrolled in their fall courses. I'll let you know as soon as I have an update. (You guys are awesome!!)

Any updates?  @KristinL ​ Smiley Happy

fallon_anxious.gif

Well, good news! (I hope!) We're in day three of our semester, and students have not experienced the course shuffling. My students are excited to have their courses stick from day to day. Hopefully it stays this way!! I'll let you know if the course confetti flies again.