- Mark as New
- Subscribe to RSS Feed
- Report Inappropriate Content
Canvas Conferences on Canvas Student
There are two features that have been part of Canvas for a long, long, long time that haven't worked on mobile. Conferences and Collaborations. While I don't have anything new to report for Collaborations, there has been some significant movement with Conferences.
While at InstructureCarn 2018, I spent some time at the Canvas Mobile booth and saw @ffdixon quite a bit. It got me thinking if Conferences would soon be part of the mobile experience?
Well, In the latest release of the Canvas Student app for Android, @KristinL brought to my attention that the following was in the recent notes:
- Added support for viewing Conferences
So, I started to dig a little further and this is what I found out.
- Access to the mobile version of Conferences has actually been available for a little while, but now Android was getting a direct way to access this feature through the app.
- This feature is available for iOS as well but wasn't highlighted in any recent updates.
- Accessing conferences inside the apps is still not a straight-forward experience
Conference on Android inside Canvas Student:
Conferences on iOS:
Conferences doesn't open up directly in the Canvas Student app but instead pushes you out to Safari.
The process to access Conferences still needs some work:
On Android, when a user taps on the Conferences button, they are brought to a squished web view and have to search around for the button to join a conference.
Once joined, you get the experience described above.
On iOS, the process adds one more step. When the user taps on the Conferences tool, they are prompted to open Safari and then navigate a squished web view to join a conference.
Now, I have confidence that this process will get better over time as a mobile version of Conferences is a newer feature.
What do you think about this? Does opening up Conferences to mobile devices make your teaching/learning/admin life better?