Canvas Mobile, An App for Everyone

rseilham
Community Champion

If you joined us at InstructureCon 2017‌ for Canvas Mobile, An App for Everyone, thanks for joining me. If not, I wanted to make this available for everyone. The presentation is attached. 

This session covers the parent, student, and teacher roles when using the Canvas Mobile apps. This includes a short overview of 23 interviews by myself, Kristin Lundstrum‌, and Ashley Salter‌. We plan to share more of these interviews over the next few months in this space. 

As part of the presentation, we showed using an iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil to do annotations in SpeedGrader, which is available below:

SpeedGrader in Teacher App with iPad Pro - YouTube 

Session Video:

7 Comments
cgaudreau
Community Contributor

Thank you for sharing,  @rseilham ‌  @KristinL ‌ and  @ashley_salter ‌!

Curious: Do you have any research or resources that you have used in the past regarding mobile pedagogy? With the release of the Teacher app, now feels like the best time to work on faculty buy-in for mobile at my institution.

That annotation in Teacher SpeedGrader tho...

Link flexing on top of a mountain in Zelda_ Breath of the Wild.

dejonghed07
Community Champion

Hi  @rseilham  I'm using a Canvas Rubric within the Teacher App on an iPhone SE - iOS version 10.3.3.

For some reason, I don't have the ability to add comments to individual rubric criteria. The total points add up correctly. According to your presentation, it looks like we should be able to comment on the individual rubric areas on both Android and iOS. I am able to add an overall comment, but would like to add separate comments for the individual rubric criteria. Is that possible? 

rseilham
Community Champion

Hello cgaudreau‌, 

My research has centered around mobile design for online courses. The best summary can be found in the Canvas Blog: Are Courses Really Mobile First? | blog.canvaslms.com 

I also have a few webinars in the community 

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)
‌. 

Lastly we run large scale surveys every other year at UCF, and you can check out our latest report here:

http://ucfmobile.ucf.edu/cdl/survey/Mobile-eTextbook-2016.pdf 

Hope this helps!

rseilham
Community Champion

Hi  @dejonghed07 ‌! 

Yes, you can add individual comments, but you have to turn this on in the web version first.  In rubric settings, be sure to select "I'll write free-form comments when assessing students" 

246041_Screen_Shot_2017-08-09_at_1_28_50_PM.png

dejonghed07
Community Champion

Thanks  @rseilham ‌ - that's important to know as we tell instructors about the Teacher App! Is that true for Android devices, too? If so, we have some instructors who will have to edit their rubrics and check that box for the fall semester.

rseilham
Community Champion

Hi  @dejonghed07 ‌, 

That is correct. This is for Android and iOS. 

dejonghed07
Community Champion

Thank you for the information!