cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fox
Community Contributor

Canvas iOS App Notification Preferences - all on!

Jump to solution

A few of our iOS customers are experiencing a glitch with the Canvas App where their push notifications are reset to be "on" for everything. Changing the settings in the App or in a desktop browser changes things temporarily, but next time the app is opened they are all ON again!

The only fix seems to be removing the App and reinstalling it with push notifications off. We submitted a case with Instructure, but the technician had not heard of the issue.

iOS Canvas App v 3.17.2

iOS version 10.2.1

Thank you!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makraft
Community Contributor

I haven't heard back from my user yet. Here's what Canvas support said:

I'm sorry you are experiencing difficulty with the iOS Canvas app. It appears you are receiving an error for push notifications. After our recent app update release, if you receive this error typically it can be resolved by visiting your notification settings in the app and disabling and re-enabling push notifications. HERE is a guide that demonstrates this. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

10 Replies
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @fox ! 

I've heard of a few issues where people were getting duplicate notifications, but not reseting the notification settings. I tried to replicate the issue over a few users, but no luck. I'll keep investigating, but this might an issue that Canvas support might need to elevate to the mobile team.

One thing to try is to test on another device and see if it's device specific to these users. This can help narrow down the issue. 

makraft
Community Contributor

Since the recent iOS app update I've had one user who is reporting duplicate notifications and another who is reporting this "all on" issue.

fox
Community Contributor

Thanks for replying  @makraft ! Did you submit a case with Canvas support? We still have not heard back from support.

makraft
Community Contributor

I haven't heard back from my user yet. Here's what Canvas support said:

I'm sorry you are experiencing difficulty with the iOS Canvas app. It appears you are receiving an error for push notifications. After our recent app update release, if you receive this error typically it can be resolved by visiting your notification settings in the app and disabling and re-enabling push notifications. HERE is a guide that demonstrates this. Hope this helps!

makraft
Community Contributor

My user with the duplicate notifications  in the iOS 3.7.2 app has found no solution to his problem. He is chalking it up as annoyance right now, but is willing to live with it until it is fixed. I've been trying to replicate on the office iPad, but so far I've not had any luck. 

I have't heard back from my notifications "all on" user yet. 

That duplicate notification issue should be fixed as of yesterday afternoon and into today. It was something fixed server side, so no app update needed. Let us know if you still see that issue after today!

I do agree with what support said, seems that toggling them seems to be failing for some reason. I have my fingers crossed that what they suggested fixes the issue! Let us know if that fixes it!

Thanks, this is good to know!

bsullens
Community Member

I began having the problem of all notifications getting toggled on every time I open the app on either my iPhone or my iPad. Here is what I have done so far to troubleshoot and attempt to repair:

1. uninstalled both apps

2. removed the access token for both devices

3. reinstalled both apps

4. set all notifications to OFF

5. launched both apps

6. re-established both access tokens

7. allowed push notifications on both apps

8. checked the Web app for status of notification toggles; all were set ON

9. closed both apps on mobile devices

10. set all notification toggles to OFF

11. reopened both apps

12. checked the Web app for status of notification toggles again; all were ON again

13. turned off push notifications in Settings for both devices.

14. repeated setting notification toggles to off

15. turned on push notifications in Settings for both devices

16. repeated checking Web app for status of notification toggles again; all were back ON again

I've had it.  I'm turning push notifications OFF on both iPhone and iPad apps and leaving them off. Until the developers can correct this problem, it does nothing but fill up my notification screens with dozens of unnecessary and unwanted notifications every hour.