Engaging students with "The Goodies"

julian
Community Explorer

This post starts with a history lesson from my childhood. I grew up in Australia in the 80s. One of my fondest memories was rushing home from school to ensure that each afternoon I could catch my FAVORITE show, The Goodies!

The Goodies were three friends; Tim, Graeme and Bill, who ran a business where they spent each episode solving other peoples (or their own) problems. Let me give you a quick sample of their genius below.

So what made the Goodies successful? Well, it was easily their appealing slogan. "Anything, Anywhere, Anytime" and it is this very same message I use when talking Canvas Mobile!

Anything, Anywhere, Anytime

From the very early days Canvas recognised that for true adoption we needed to be where the users were, when they needed us on whatever device they were on. Or, what I simply refer to as "The Goodies Method". And while thankfully we do it with a higher level of success and professionalism than the original intrepid trio, the ethos remains the same.

Be it through a purpose built App (Teacher, Student, Parent) or through the Mobile Webb, Canvas ensures that users get quick and easy access to what they need in a quick and efficient manner. And that includes not just access but also notifications.

So when was the last time you unleashed your Goodies?

Julian

3 Comments
stacy_lambert
Community Contributor

Thanks Deactivated user‌. We are starting to see this with our students - using the mobile app for their lessons, quizzes etc, and our PDHPE teachers use it out on the field for meeting physical training outcomes. We will show you a video on this soon when it is approved. 

BTW - you haven't stopped watching the Goodies have you? My kids watch it now - introduced them to the 'Box set DVD' when they were young!         "Don't cry for me, Marge and Tina". One of the best!

‌  @david_summervi1 ‌

julian
Community Explorer
Author

Still hard to beat Kitten Kong or Ecky Thump if you ask me. Definitely a lifetime watcher and have introduced my 9yo daughter to it as well. In fact it was watching last month that prompted me to write this post. Smiley Happy

Would love to see how you are using with PDHPE. Sounds like a perfect fit.

JR

rseilham
Community Champion

Thanks Deactivated user‌ for adding some perspective. I have followed mobile apps for the LMS since the iPhone 3G and what makes Instructure different is their mobile philosophy. Even though you can't do EVERYTHING with the mobile app, it's still a very important tool to keep students, teachers, and parents engaged and involved anywhere, anytime. There is a good focus on supporting the most popular and important features while removing "pain points" to keep users less reliant on the web, which can often be a roadblock.