cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamely
Community Champion

Front page Link to Canvas module content page breaks in app

Jump to solution

I have had this problem over and over, and can't find a fix for it. So I am asking the wise gurus of the Canvas Community.

My course design often uses a Front page that has a link to the beginning of the current module (content page). When I use the Canvas app for Android and tap this link, it directs me to either the single page (not in the module, so no "Next" button), or changes the link to redirect to the "Modules" page. I have tried using the menu insert link, copying the link from the module page, and copying the link from the "Next" or "Back" button to no avail.

This works perfectly on the web and is not a problem there, only on the Android app (I can't vet the iOS app).

Any ideas/fixes or maybe someone else already posted about this and I can't find it in search, or need a better explanation? 😜 Any help welcome!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jamely ​, this definitely sounds strange! My only recommendation is to contact Canvas Support (Help link --> Report a Problem) to see if this is a known bug or if they know what might be going wrong and how to fix it.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jamely ​, this definitely sounds strange! My only recommendation is to contact Canvas Support (Help link --> Report a Problem) to see if this is a known bug or if they know what might be going wrong and how to fix it.

View solution in original post

jamely
Community Champion

Contacting support is a good option, if it were only one course. It also affects a different course in a different system (UPenn), and straight up breaks and asks for the desktop site for USU.

I vaguely remember reading on this forum something having to do with linking into modules and the mobile app, but can't find it.

Thanks for your suggestion!

jamely
Community Champion

I just checked, and this "breaking" of page links out of the module happens anywhere there is a link to an in-module page, not just the Front Page. All of my pages are placed in modules, and the desired behavior would be that the link takes the user to the page-within-module which has Back/Next buttons, just like it does for the Desktop version. Does anyone else have this Android Canvas app issue?

jamely
Community Champion

On speaking with Deactivated user​, he stated that he had not heard of this issue, and, most interestingly, that Android app issues go under-reported. So it's up to any of us Android users to start becoming squeaky wheels if we want to see changes in the app 😜

Thanks  @kona , for the original suggestion, I marked it as correct!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks and glad you are planning on being the squeaky wheel so to speak to get some of these Android issues recognized and reported!

steve_simpson
Community Participant

I am experiencing the same problem with my course structure on the IOS app.  The navigation buttons only activate when my module 1 page is access via the "module" menu.  When I link to the module 1 page through a link on my homepage, the page simply acts as a page and the navigation buttons do not appear.

This only happens in the app.  The navigation buttons appear correctly using a browser. 

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

This is definitely a known issue (if that's the right term), that was brought to my attention last month. Has anyone got an official response from Instructure? If not, it needs to be added as an idea ASAP. It really is an issue with the mobile experience for anyone who doesn't rely specifically on the modules.

jamely
Community Champion

From what I remember, I received communication from mobile app support staff, and the result came out to, "We didn't know it was a problem, and there won't be a fix for it anytime soon". The communication was much nicer than that, but that was pretty much what it boiled down to 😜