cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjennings
Community Champion

How can I allow 3rd party cookies in iOS Canvas app

Jump to solution

Out institution has adopted https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/partnerships/kaltura?sr=search&searchId=1fb088aa-d... for our streaming videos, however inside the Canvas app on my iPad & iPhone, I constantly am receiving the  following message:

222365_IMG_0039.PNG

I have gone into settings for Safari and changed from "Always from sites I visit" to "Always allow" and I still am getting tis message. Any thoughts on how to allow https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/partnerships/kaltura?sr=search&searchId=b393960e-c...‌ videos to play inside the app?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
narmstrong
Instructure
Instructure

@caldwell ‌,  @jeffh ‌,

How are you embedding the LTI tool? Are you pasting in links directly or are you using the editor's toolbar to embed the LTI tool?

Pasting links will not always work on iOS because of cookies. However, if you embed using the editor's embed button in the toolbar we will replace the LTI with a "Launch External Tool" button that when tapped will open a Safari window which handles cookies in most cases. When you paste links we can't detect that the link is an LTI tool so it won't be replaced with the button.

280534_embedded-lti-tools.png

View solution in original post

12 Replies
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Matthew Jennings‌: I have never seen this issue. I'm curious if Benjamin Kraus‌ can deliver any direction? 

The iOS in-app browser shares Safari's settings. Did you restart the app after setting the cookies? I'm reaching here, but I'm not 100 percent sure how to Canvas App uses the in-app browser. I'll keep digging around, but for now, I don't have a suggestion. 

Also, consider pushing this issue to Kaltura, because even though they are a certified partner, it doesn't mean it will work properly in the app. 

bkraus
Instructure
Instructure

Hm. That's strange. I know that there have been a few issues with Kaltura before, but I'm not sure there are any open issues currently. LTIs can be rather interesting on mobile - there's some technicalities that make it rather difficult. Do me a favor, and submit a support ticket, will you? That will allow support to get it replicating in an isolated environment for us devs, which should help speed the process of getting this fixed. 

shane_ohara
Community Champion

Matthew,

I just opened a Canvas ticket and a Kaltura case to see what can be done. We are having the same issue at my university. I'll make sure to reply when I get more information back.

Shane

caldwell
Community Contributor

We get a similar message about cookies being blocked when using Panopto videos in the iOS Canvas app. (Things work for us in Android, so it may be limited to the iOS app). I have tried enabling all cookies, enabling tracking, etc., but nothing works.

jeffh
Community Member

Any news to report on this issue? We just launched our Canvas sites and this issue has been reported in week one.

@shane_ohara ‌, 

Any update from Canvas on this?

narmstrong
Instructure
Instructure

@caldwell ‌,  @jeffh ‌,

How are you embedding the LTI tool? Are you pasting in links directly or are you using the editor's toolbar to embed the LTI tool?

Pasting links will not always work on iOS because of cookies. However, if you embed using the editor's embed button in the toolbar we will replace the LTI with a "Launch External Tool" button that when tapped will open a Safari window which handles cookies in most cases. When you paste links we can't detect that the link is an LTI tool so it won't be replaced with the button.

280534_embedded-lti-tools.png

View solution in original post

@narmstrong ‌, 

Wow, never knew this. This is quite helpful. I'm curious if this will be a solution for Jeff and Robert. 

caldwell
Community Contributor

I always use the LTI embed tool in the RCE. I never paste embed code or links to our videos. Still get the same exact problem, even now.