Office 365 + Canvas Mobile

MattHanes
Community Champion

For consistency, I'm blatantly copying  @KristinL ‌'s blog post (Google LTI + Canvas Mobile) in case someone has similar questions about the new Office 365 integration its compatibility with the Canvas Mobile Apps. There are so many things to test! Let me know if you have a different experience. Sometimes things work with one device and not another device. I'll fill in the gaps as I do more experimentation.

Test devices:

• Android - Nexus 6P, Android 7.1.2, Canvas 5.7.3

Embedding Link to OneDrive Items From The Rich Content Button

After installing the LTI app, the Rich Content Editor will have a new Office 365 button. The first time it is clicked, you will be asked to sign-in to your Office 365 account.

220471_O365_RCE.jpg

Clicking this button after authenticating will open a list of items from your OneDrive. Clicking on one of these items and choosing to "Attach file" will add a link to that item into the text area of an assignment or page. Now, what happens when we click that link on a mobile device?

• Android Canvas Mobile App - Not working - Clicking on the link takes me to a sign-in screen for Office 365 (even if I have already signed into O365 from the app before) and after signing-in displays a 401 error. 
  • Android Chrome Web Browser - Working - Clicking on the link takes me to a sign-in screen for Office 365 (even if I have already signed into O365 from the app before) and after signing-in takes me to a browser version of the document.

Office 365 Cloud Assignment

Creating an assignment and choosing the External Tool submission type will allow you to create an "Office 365 Cloud Assignment". This should create a copy of an item from the teacher's OneDrive inside of each of your students' OneDrive accounts.

• Android Canvas Mobile App - Not working - Clicking on the assignment and selecting the "Submissions" tab will allow you to click a button labeled "Go To External Tool" but clicking on that button generates an error.
  • Android Chrome Web Browser - Working (Sort Of) - Clicking on the assignment will present the student with an "Open" or "Submit" button. The Open button will launch the word document in the browser and clicking the pencil edit icon will allow the user to download the Word app and edit the document on the Word app. The resulting editing process is limited to what is possible on a mobile device. This will be highly dependent on the formatting of the document.

Module Items

Choosing "External Tool" when adding a Module item will allow instructors to choose "Office 365" which will then allow for selecting an item from the instructor's OneDrive. 

• Android Canvas Mobile App - Not working - Clicking on the link takes me to a sign-in screen for Office 365 (even if I have already signed into O365 from the app before) and after signing-in displays a 401 error. 
  • Android Chrome Web Browser - Working for Microsoft Documents - Clicking on the link will take the user to a page with the document embedded on the page. If the item is not something that can be embedded (like a zip file) nothing will show up. It appears to only render Word, Powerpoint, or Excel documents.
3 Comments