Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lindalee
Community Champion

Push Notifications for Files on iOS Canvas app

Jump to solution

Hi folks,

I'm trying to understand how push notifications for the iOS app are supposed to be working. The documentation is scarce on details, and I'm trying to understand whether what one of our students is reporting is the intended/expected functionality, or a bug.

When a user receives a push notification (Canvas iOS app) about a new file, where should the link in that notification take them?

One of our students reported frustration with the behavior of files notification in the app. Clicking on the link directs to the courses dashboard in the Canvas app, rather than going to the files area for the course.

My apologies in advance if this question has been asked and answered before -- I've been searching but haven't been able to find this information!

Thanks in advance for whatever insights folks can provide.

Best,

Linda

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bkraus
Instructure
Instructure

Dang! In a perfect world, launching the app from that push notification would take you right to that file! Clearly that isn't happening for you. Smiley Sad 

This definitely sounds like an issue, something that should be happening. Have you submitted a support ticket by chance? That's a great mechanism to run it up the flag pole to us - streamlines the process for us to get it fixed.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
bkraus
Instructure
Instructure

Dang! In a perfect world, launching the app from that push notification would take you right to that file! Clearly that isn't happening for you. Smiley Sad 

This definitely sounds like an issue, something that should be happening. Have you submitted a support ticket by chance? That's a great mechanism to run it up the flag pole to us - streamlines the process for us to get it fixed.

Hi Deactivated user Thanks for the response! Would it be helpful if multiple institutions reported the same behavior?

lindalee
Community Champion

Hi Deactivated user‌,

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll escalate the ticket to Instructure Support on your advice. I was trying to understand if this was the expected behavior before escalating the ticket.

Best,

Linda

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

@KristinL : I have never seen the iOS app open to "where" the notification should be. It just opens the app and brings me to the landing page or the last page opened in the app. I would love to see this working properly. Benjamin Kraus‌ - Are you saying this might be an issue? Linda J. Lee‌: If this is not an issue, let us know and we can create an idea! 

Ok, to follow up, saw the support ticket come through and the associated ticket that support linked it with. That issue was filed by support back in June of last year. I know when push notifications rolled out a couple years ago, it did support this but must have broke along the way somewhere. Unfortunately, the ticket that was filed was a little misleading in the title and description and hence fell through the cracks so to speak. Good news is, I am updating the ticket so it's more clear to us what is happening!

We will certainly look into this - this is definitely something that should work. I'll follow up here as I learn more and get I fixed. 

lindalee
Community Champion

Thanks, Deactivated user‌! I

@rseilham , I'm actually surprised that I haven't seen more tickets or had direct inquiries from students about this. It's interesting that this hasn't surfaced before now. Deactivated user I know it's more work for you and your team, but I'm kind of excited to learn that this is a bug and will work fully some day!  @lindalee , Thanks for submitting this question! This is awesome.