cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maryanne_mills
Community Participant

Recommended video dimensions for mobile and other formats?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm a new follower of this group and happy to be here. I would like to know if there is a recommended/best practices size to make YouTube videos on Canvas. I embed the default code manually, but I'd like it to be a smaller size than the default of 560px x 315px. I realized that if I change the dimensions, it might alter the view on mobile devices as well. So, here I am!  

Is there a recommended size for all formats viewing a video embedded in Canvas?

Thank you,

Maryanne

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @maryanne_mills ‌, 

I need to check on Android, but it doesn't matter what size you embed the video on iOS because once the video plays the built-in iOS video player takes over the screen. Essentially the user isn't viewing the video at the embedded size since the built-in video player will open it full screen. I would suggest you make it a size that works well with your web content (the default is pretty good) and don't make it too small (like under 100px) because then the user might have an issue tapping the play button. 

Hope this helps! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @maryanne_mills ‌, 

I need to check on Android, but it doesn't matter what size you embed the video on iOS because once the video plays the built-in iOS video player takes over the screen. Essentially the user isn't viewing the video at the embedded size since the built-in video player will open it full screen. I would suggest you make it a size that works well with your web content (the default is pretty good) and don't make it too small (like under 100px) because then the user might have an issue tapping the play button. 

Hope this helps! 

View solution in original post

maryanne_mills
Community Participant

Hi Ryan,

Thanks very much for your answer.  That makes total sense and no matter what size I made it, it came out fine on the smaller devices. 

Cheers,

Maryanne

mmoore1
Community Contributor

Yes, that is great to know that iOS has a feature for playing videos that takes over.  I can see how this is extremely beneficial to programming.