cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bkraus
Instructure
Instructure

Student Annotations!

Hey all, iOS and Android released the new student annotations feature yesterday (9/27/16), and I'd love to hear everyone's feedback!

On a related note:

I'll be doing a Canvas Live presentation (Mobile Annotations: Quick Demo ) on it next week, hope to see ya'll there!

45 Replies
cgaudreau
Community Participant

Deactivated user, today, an ID on my team showed me how he was able to annotate a PDF via Files in a similar fashion to Assignments. As it doesn't flatten the annotations after we send it to Google Drive, for example, I began to think: Is this expected behavior (finding it the File section) or did we stumble upon something I hadn't heard of before?

applem
Community Contributor

3.15 update: Does this update also fix the broken PDF link issue?

echamber
Community Participant

I am very excited about this new addition. I have a Sandbox class where I added an assignment. I added a PDF and published it. I then took an ipad that I am logged into as a student, opened it, and tried all the annotation tools.

I clicked Submit, chose the class and assignment and got the Submitted Assignment message. The issue is when I go back into the teacher Sandbox page, there isnt any evidence that the student submitted anything. I have done it twice, no work shows up to grade/review.

Eric

echamber
Community Participant

Now that we are clear of the long weekend, just wanted to see if anyone had a similar issue to the issue I posted late last week. FYI - I updated the canvas mobile app this morning, tried to workflow, same result.

Eric

echamber
Community Participant

I have tried yet another run thru...attached are my screenshots. Please let me know what is missing, as the assignment does not show up anywhere. Deactivated user​

IMG_0123.PNG

IMG_0122.PNGIt says Submitted, but that is it, it does not show up anywhere.

IMG_0121.PNG

IMG_0120.PNG

@echamber ​ It looks like the app was updated yesterday to 3.15.1 and the release notes in the App Store say "Fixed: Several issues with Student Annotations", so make sure your app is updated and give it another shot.

cgaudreau
Community Participant

@echamber ​, just on the off-chance that it may be there, does the PDF show via SpeedGrader?

echamber
Community Participant

Yes, everything is updated with latest versions.

echamber
Community Participant

No, it does not show up anywhere on the teacher side of Canvas.

cgaudreau
Community Participant

Canvas Mobile Users​ or  @peytoncraighill ​, has anyone else stumbled upon the above issue before?

TL;DR Should you be able to annotate PDFs via Files as well as Assignments, or did we stumble on a feature not yet fully built?