Students on iphones:

jfrielich_ls
Community Member

I have loved using Canvas, the switch has basically guaranteed student success. Students can turn in work from phones, use cameras to document project based learning assessments. When students are sick they return with all work and lessons complete. My students walk into the classroom, look at pop-up notifications and know exactly what to do, and what we will be doing in class that day. I love this!

3 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Josh!

It's exciting to see art teachers getting excited about technology in their classrooms! As I teach both my studio and digital arts, it's incredible how helpful Canvas is to my and my students' workflow.

Do all of your students have access to the Canvas by Instructure App? If yes, what types of activities do you create for them that you did prior to implementing Canvas? If no, how do you ensure activities are equitable? 

I personally love being able to organize critiques, journals, and peer-reviews with Canvas. It allows students to have more time in class for face-to-face collaboration, work time, questions, etc...and then the "homework" is easier to take on-the-go. I could go on and on (and on and on...) about how I streamline my classroom with technology and Canvas, but most importantly, I'd like to note that the possibilities here are pretty much endless!! Smiley Happy

Have you seen the discussion in https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/strategies/blog/2017/07/12/technology-in-the-arts?sr=search&s...‌ or my https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/cmug/blog/2017/05/30/mobilized-photography-final?sr=search&se...‌ post? 

Do you have any plans or goals for the 2017-2018 school year??

jfrielich_ls
Community Member

Hi  @KristinL ,

Not all of my students have access to the Canvas app on a mobile device. We are one-to-one with Chromebooks, I have cameras in my classroom, and we make it work!

I agree with everything you said. I do way too much to put down here. I love starting class with journals, I read them within minutes after class starts and am able to provide students individualized instruction and scaffold my lessons. We love peer-reviews especial of the sketches and final contours before details are added. We do a lot of discussion posts for critiques. LOVE RUBRICS! 

My big project right now is developing and implementing  a county wide infrastructure for teacher resources.

Thank you for sharing your resources.

t_logvynenko
Community Contributor

You, educators, who bring technology into the classroom, are just amazing! Being better than yesterday is possible under one condition…we have to be brave enough to face the changes. And phones, tablets are positive aspects of these changes. Because the innovative teaching approach is a prerequisite for making improvement. This is the only way to help a student overcome the procrastination and give them an impetus to dive into learning.