cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve_Hartnett
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Unable to Display Doucment- Canvas Student iOS App

The below screenshot is an error that our students are experiencing. In some cases students will receive this error message when they first attempt to access a PDF (normally included within an assignment) within the Canvas Student iOS App. A work-around has been for the teacher to re-upload the PDF and that normally works for the student who has had the issue. However, the more complicated issue is that a student may be annotating on the PDF for several days (it could be part of a week long assignment for example) and when they go to access the file to continue their work, they now receive this error. I know that a student can clear the app's cache and/or delete and reinstall the app, but this will result in all of the annotations being lost.

Does anyone know what is causing this issue and how to avoid it?

Our iPads are at iOS- 14.4 or higher and the Canvas Student App is either at 6.10 or 6.10.1

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Unknown.jpeg

4 Replies
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

@Steve_Hartnett,

This is kind of complicated. I'd like to know if this is the same PDF students are editing, how are they editing the file, are they using the same OS to edit?

Hi @rseilham 

Thank you for the response! The PDFs are not the same- this is happening in different courses. The students are editing within the Canvas Student iOS App using the annotation tools. In most instances, the students are able to open and annotate on the PDF without issue one day, and then the next day they are unable to open the same PDF. Students are all the same OS- 14.4

Any insight would be appreciated!

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

@Steve_Hartnett

I discussed this briefly with an engineer and this isn't a known issue. The suggestion was to report it to Canvas Support so they can replicate it and create a ticket for the mobile team. 

Steve_Hartnett
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thanks for looking into this more @rseilham!

I have been in contact with Canvas Support and we are currently working with L2 Support on this issue.

Thanks