Using CSS in the Canvas Mobile app

rseilham
Community Champion
197618_TL_quick_demo.png
197619_TR_quick_demo.png

Description

Let's take a quick look at using the mobile stylesheet in the Canvas Mobile App. This is a quick demo to give you a starting point. This session is intended for people all people, regardless knowledge with CSS. I'll save the more complicated JQuery/JS stuff for a later event.

Here's a preview of what you will learn:

Photo Sep 12, 1 58 39 PM.png IMG_3588.PNG

Objectives

Participants who attend the session will learn...

• How to implement CSS in the Canvas Mobile app
  • How to get started with with CSS in the Canvas mobile app
  • Examples of simple styles that can be added to the pages in the Canvas app

Additional Resources

197620_BTM_quick_demo.png
18 Comments
mtuten
Community Contributor

Will a recording of this event be made available? The Office Mix/Sway Canvas Integration presentation/demo takes place during this time too.

rseilham
Community Champion
Author

If there is a date conflict, especially because I want to see the cLIVE session, I might consider moving this to another day. Stay tuned...

rseilham
Community Champion
Author

Hey everyone! I have moved this back 1 week at the same time because it conflicts with another great CanvasLIVE session by snufer​ - Integrating Office Mix and Microsoft Sway into Canvas

I hope you can still join me on the 15th! Thanks. 

teraulbert
Community Contributor

Will there be a link to the BlueJeans room? Thank you! 🙂

DrNufer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm planning on attending your event as well.  :smileygrin:

rseilham
Community Champion
Author

This link will be available before the presentation (it's being created by Instructure), so bookmark this page and check back! Thanks.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Link to the session (bluejeans) has been added. Smiley Happy

bcfraedrich
Community Novice

We are having issues with our Mobile Browser login page, whether Safari or Chrome.  The Theme editor has our mobile login page set to the custom image but it isn't taking affect.  That is a change from last year.  Last year it worked the way the theme editor was set, now Mobile Browser login pages are defaulting to the blue background with the canvas logo.  Any advice or has anyone else seen this?  Thanks.

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Awesome Ryan many thanks. Am currently testing the beta app for iOS with some additional features. Exciting times..

rseilham
Community Champion
Author

The presentation is now available here:

Mobile CSS - CanvasLIVE - Google Slides

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

The recorded archive of this session is now available:

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

applem
Community Contributor

Also testing the beta canvas app.

applem
Community Contributor

Thank you for posting the links.

rseilham
Community Champion
Author

Awesome! Are you going to this tomorrow? Canvas Mobile Open Discussion

rseilham
Community Champion
Author

Hey bcfraedrich​ - Here is a reply from  @KristinL ​

Not sure if this is right...but I'll give it a go.

At one point, our institution had a custom mobile log-in screen also. (It just hasn't been replaced/updated recently.) The log-in screen should be customizable with CSS. Here's an example: GitHub

There is currently a feature idea open for voting that's related to customizing the mobile log-in, and making it more admin-friendly: Include mobile login in Theming options

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

204707_badge_host.pngbadge_host.pngSpecial thanks to  @rseilham ​ for leading this event. The host of this event has received a "host" badge + 50pts for setting up and facilitating this great session today! Check out all of the CanvasLIVE rewards: CanvasLIVE Badges.

Please be sure to fill out the CanvasLIVE Survey and share your feedback for this event. Your insights help us continue to support events like these!

For more on how YOU can host a CanvasLIVE event, check out How do I set up a CanvasLIVE event?

jfountain
Community Participant

@rseilham Hi, Ryan - is there a recorded presentation for your session mentioned on this thread?  The video link didn't work for me.  I can see the Google slides.  We want to learn more about making our Canvas Student mobile view of a course look more like the Web course view.