cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KenGreenwood
Community Participant

Filtering calendar by student

I have 6 children.  How do I filter the calendar by student?  All I am seeing is courses splattered randomly on a calendar.   I would think that a parent would be able to say - I want to see child A's schedule, from morning to afternoon...and in a simple way... then child B's schedule, etc.    Does that functionality not exist?  And if not - WHY?

11 Replies
AnnaEisenberg
Community Member

I agree that this would seem like an obvious feature for observers using the web site.  I understand that it is in the app, but please can it be added to the web site too?  I also see that this feature has been requested by observers since 2017.  Not sure why it wouldn't have been implemented, as it seems like something that would be so important for observers.  As it stands the calendar is hard enough to read, as the listings in the calender (at least in my school) do not have a standard naming convention.  All the teachers use different ways to label there daily classes.  The actual name of the class doesn't seem to appear in the calender view (that I've seen so far), so all of the kids assignments display making it very time consuming to decipher the class schedule.  Seems very basic.

KenGreenwood
Community Participant

I'd actually prefer to use the app - however, none of the 3 schools my kids attend appear in the app.  So that's another problem.

Mabry Elementary

Coleman Middle School

Plant High School

All in Tampa

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @AnnaEisenberg -

There is an idea open for voting that would allow individuals to toggle between students in the calendar, but that's not in development. However, there ways you can customize your dashboard so it's more organized for you.

You can Nickname and color-code your courses. Those nicknames and colors will be seen on the dashboard and on the calendar. I wrote a blog about some of these tips (especially when you have multiple students). I hope you find it helpful! Clarity for Canvas Observers 

If you have any follow-up questions, please reply! I'd be happy to do my best to help.

KenGreenwood
Community Participant

There is no QR option when I am logged on.

KenGreenwood
Community Participant

And the nickname I set for the courseisn't being saved.  Once I click on the course or navigate to another page and back to the dashboard the name reverts to the original name.  smh.

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

hi @KenGreenwood -

The nicknames should stick. If you set a nickname, move to a new space, and then use the back button for navigation, what happens if you refresh the page?

How do I view my favorite courses in the Card View Dashboard as a student? 

I'm sorry that the QR code isn't there. This is the first time that I've heard of a user not having that option. It may be worth asking your local Canvas Admin team about that. How do I get help with Canvas as an observer? 

KenGreenwood
Community Participant

NIckname reverts to the original name after I refresh the page.  

KenGreenwood
Community Participant

must be the extreme slowness of the database behind the scenes due to the load on the servers.   because the nicknames are now showing properly.