cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donotnomuch
Community Member

Parent Observer - Multiple Kids Sort by

If you are a Parent and you Pair several children to one Parent Canvas Observer, is there any way to sort information per pupil/child when in Card View or any other view? Skyward has a pull down menu to sort by child, but I find no feature or option similar in Canvas.

Its frustrating to see all classes for all pupils mashed into one pile of cards on the screen. When we parents are working on following their pupils one by one with each respective class; the lesson plan, activity, notifications, messaging, and calendar events are visually very difficult to quickly and effectively sort and see. Its blinding me.

Thank for looking,

donotnomuch

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
6 Replies
hhaggard
Community Member

I use the Canvas Parent app on my iphone and it does sort by child.  Maybe try that app?  

The parent app does have some glitches though.  I removed my students' courses from last year (made them not visible) but they showed up as visible again the next day, so you will have to scroll through more classes than necessary to find the ones you need until that glitch is fixed.  However, the parent app does sort by student, so that helps.

Theresa81
Community Member

How do you even seen both kids at thee same time? I only see my child in K not 7th.. 

hhaggard
Community Member

When you are in the Canvas Parent app and tap the drop-down arrow by your child's name, a bar below your child's name will show which other children you are observing.  

Exempo
Community Member

The grading section of dashboard also would benefit from this sorting. Right now I have three students and trying to go through the list would be more helpful if done by student instead of just being bunched up.

donotnomuch
Community Member

@hhaggard  thanks for the tip. although not an iphone user per-say your thought prompted me to download the app for android and it appears that sorting is achieved in the app. So thanks for that

I should have clarified in the original post that the hiccup I'm complaining about is with the web interface from a laptop. I'm finding in my old age that the more time I stare at a big screen versus my phone the better off I am. That and when I sit with each of my kids to review schoolwork I'm at my laptop.

@Theresa81if I follow you correctly, you'll need to go into your 7th graders Canvas portal and get the pairing code, then go back to your own parent Canvas observer enter the code given and then it will identify 2 or more kids in one interface. Hope that helps. For a more detailed explanation as to how, there are help topics here that show how, and better describe than I could for you.

@Exempoditto and exactly!