cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qiaot
Community Member

1. how to forward an email to the students. 2. how to automatically generate an announcement when I posted a new assignment

Jump to solution

I have 2 questions:

1. how to forward an email to the students.

For example, as an instructor, I received an email today related to the course. I want to forward this email to all the students. Is there a particular email address which if I send email to it, all the students will receive? 

I think ctools can do it. I am not sure canvas can do it.

2. how to automatically generate an announcement when I posted a new assignment

Every time I post a new assignment onto canvas, I will need to go to the announcement part, and send a message to all the students saying: look I posted a new assignment and the due is ....

Is there a button under "assignment" tab where after I check it, students will get notified automatically that a new assignment has been posted?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @qiaot  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your questions here.  I will try and answer both for you:

For example, as an instructor, I received an email today related to the course. I want to forward this email to all the students. Is there a particular email address which if I send email to it, all the students will receive?

First, I am assuming that you received this e-mail message today via your school's e-mail system...for example, using Microsoft Outlook.  To my knowledge, there isn't any Canvas-related e-mail address that you'd be able to forward that e-mail message on to so that it would go to all students enrolled in your course.  If you want to ensure that your students are getting a copy of that e-mail message sent to their own school e-mail address (or whatever system your school has set up for student e-mail addresses), then you would most likely want to just forward it on via Outlook (or whatever e-mail client that your school uses).  While you certainly could copy/paste the e-mail message into a new message within Canvas directed to all your students (see How do I send a message to all course users in Conversations as an instructor?), this doesn't necessarily mean that all your students will get that message delivered to their e-mail address...depending on how each student has their Canvas notification preferences set up.  (It's possible that one student may choose to only receive course notifications via text message, while another student may choose to receive course notifications via e-mail.)  So, again, I would recommend that you just forward that e-mail to your students via your e-mail client.

Every time I post a new assignment onto canvas, I will need to go to the announcement part, and send a message to all the students saying: look I posted a new assignment and the due is ....

Is there a button under "assignment" tab where after I check it, students will get notified automatically that a new assignment has been posted?

No.  However, these would be settings that each of your students would need to set in their own Canvas profile.  If you take a look at your own Canvas profile (Account >> Notifications), underneath the "Course Activities" heading, you will see rows for "Due Date" and "Course Content".  Hovering over each of these labels will give you additional information about them.  Your students would want to configure those settings so that they are notified about your assignments and due dates.  However, keep in mind that these settings are global settings for all of Canvas...not just your course.  So, if students are being notified about assignments and due dates in your course, they are also going to be notified about assignments and due dates for any other courses they are enrolled in.  These are settings that you'll need to leave up to each individual student.  You cannot set those settings for them.

I hope this has helped to answer both of your questions, Tai.  Please let me know if you have any other questions related to the above.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @qiaot  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your questions here.  I will try and answer both for you:

First, I am assuming that you received this e-mail message today via your school's e-mail system...for example, using Microsoft Outlook.  To my knowledge, there isn't any Canvas-related e-mail address that you'd be able to forward that e-mail message on to so that it would go to all students enrolled in your course.  If you want to ensure that your students are getting a copy of that e-mail message sent to their own school e-mail address (or whatever system your school has set up for student e-mail addresses), then you would most likely want to just forward it on via Outlook (or whatever e-mail client that your school uses).  While you certainly could copy/paste the e-mail message into a new message within Canvas directed to all your students (see How do I send a message to all course users in Conversations as an instructor?), this doesn't necessarily mean that all your students will get that message delivered to their e-mail address...depending on how each student has their Canvas notification preferences set up.  (It's possible that one student may choose to only receive course notifications via text message, while another student may choose to receive course notifications via e-mail.)  So, again, I would recommend that you just forward that e-mail to your students via your e-mail client.

No.  However, these would be settings that each of your students would need to set in their own Canvas profile.  If you take a look at your own Canvas profile (Account >> Notifications), underneath the "Course Activities" heading, you will see rows for "Due Date" and "Course Content".  Hovering over each of these labels will give you additional information about them.  Your students would want to configure those settings so that they are notified about your assignments and due dates.  However, keep in mind that these settings are global settings for all of Canvas...not just your course.  So, if students are being notified about assignments and due dates in your course, they are also going to be notified about assignments and due dates for any other courses they are enrolled in.  These are settings that you'll need to leave up to each individual student.  You cannot set those settings for them.

I hope this has helped to answer both of your questions, Tai.  Please let me know if you have any other questions related to the above.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@qiaot ...

I will also note, however, that when you are editing the details of an Assignment in your course, there is a checkbox that says, "Notify users that this content has changed".  You can read more about this option by checking out the "Save Assignment" section in this Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10113-415241285