Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
benzle_2

500 mb limit

Trying to import/export from D2L to Canvas. My IT people have a 500 mb upoad limit. There is no way to export the .zip file without the large video files in the course without not getting the module outline as well. How can we export a course minus certain files? Or are there any other ways to get around this pointless 500 mb limit.

8 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@benzle_2 ​...

If you are an admin for your Canvas instance, you can follow the directions given in this Canvas Guide to increase the course file storage quota.  How do I set storage quotas for an account?  But, keep in mind that if you change this value here, you are changing it for every single course in your Canvas account.  Or, you can have your administrator change the quota on a per course basis by having him/her follow this Canvas Guide: How do I manage the options in the Course Details tab?

As far as exporting your course from D2L without including certain files, that's not a question I can answer as I've never used that LMS before.  You may find a handful of people here in the Community who were former D2L users, but you ultimately may need to ask the makers of D2L about this.

Hope this information is helpful, Kyle.

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@benzle_2 ,  @chofer ​ has provided some immediate and direct remedies. In addition, I've shared your question with the LMS & Migrations​ group to elicit some D2L-specific advice. Generally speaking, many institutions have chosen to manage their Canvas storage quotas by hosting their videos in a server outside of Canvas and linking to them rather than uploading them directly into the courses--and the school's Canvas admins then make exceptions on a course-by-course basis by following the instructions Chris has provided above.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I agree with Chris about asking your Canvas admin to up your individual course limit beyond the 500MB. We have faculty request this from time to time and it's not a big deal to up the limit. Yet, I have to admit that we strongly recommend that faculty with a lot of video do not add it directly to Canvas, instead either upload it to YouTube (you can make it private and just for your students) or upload it to our College's video server (and add the link to the video to Canvas).

As for separating out things from D2L before uploading it to Canvas, do you have any types of options when downloading your course from D2L that's related to picking specific content? I did a quick search and from the directions I found on this website - D2L - Import/Export Course Contents and Components  - it looks like you should be able to pick and choose what you download and then import into Canvas; PS looks like the steps you want start on Step 7.

Thank you both for the help.

The current (D2L/old LMS) course has a lot of detailed modules/discussions/quizzes... that I do not wish to re-do if not necessary. There does not seem to be a way to download everything BUT the large video files, in the .zip exported file. So I can upload then delete the files to host elsewhere, but I still need to be able to upload it initially to maintain the organization of the course right?

​​The course in question has a lot of detailed discussions/quizzes, etc. and there does not seem to be an option to select which Files get moved, Only which Sections (Modules), so it looks like if I want to maintain the other material I need to have the upload limit raised (which my "eLearning" dept. refuses to do). I could even upload then remove the large video files right away to host elsewhere, but I think I still need to upload everything initially right?

@benzle_2 ​, I'm not at all familiar with the D2L side of the process, so I'm hopeful someone else can weigh in on that aspect. I do suspect that if you remove the video files from your D2L course and host them elsewhere before you move the course from D2L into Canvas, the content that remains will not even come close to hitting the course quota limitation. You can then rebuild the video links in your newly-created Canvas course.

Also, I just looked over this guide--How do I import content from Desire 2 Learn (D2L) into Canvas? --and I see that for D2L imports you do have the option to "Select specific content" (as is the case for most course copy processes in Canvas) before you initiate the course copy itself. Have you looked over those instructions, and are you seeing something different?

swift_23

I am transitioning from D2L to Canvas as well. You should be able to go into select specific content during the export and decide what to include and not include in the package. The issue is where are the video files are stored. Especially in the quizzes, are they stored as files and then you are linking to them in quiz questions? Are the big video files, lectures that are associated with weekly content models? There are many questions that would need to be answered to decide if you can export without the video file. Basically, what is the video file and how do you have students accessing it?

Another thing to remember is that a D2L to Canvas import is not a 1:1 transition. You will most likely have to reorganize most of your content in Canvas after you import. Can you provide a screen shot from D2L that shows a video as part of your content?

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @benzle_2 ! It's been awhile since we last heard from you. Did one or more of the responses above ultimately resolve your D2L-to-Canvas migration issue? For now, I will mark this question as "Assumed Answered"; that will not prevent you or others from responding. If there is a single workable solution posted here, please mark that answer as "Correct"--and if you arrived at a different solution, please take a moment to update the thread. Thanks!