A student created a group in my course (instead of signing up for a group as instructed). Now I have a tab in the People section called "Student Groups". How can I delete that?

Jump to solution
kstockar
Community Member

There's now an additional tab in my People section called "Student Groups".  I'd like to delete it so it doesn't confuse anyone, but cannot figure out how.  I did disable the ability for students to create their own groups so this doesn't happen again.  I'd just like to delete that tab.  Thanks.

2 Solutions
ericwerth
Community Explorer

Hi  @kstockar .  I believe that I have some good news and bad news.  The bad news is that once a student has created a group, that tab for the Student Groups group set cannot be deleted.  The good news is that this tab is only visible to instructors so students would not see the empty tab and risk getting confused.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

chadscott
Community Contributor

Howdy,

If you go into your course settings and then click on "more options" at the bottom, you should be able to uncheck "allow students to organize their own groups".

To clean up groups they've already created, you may have to get your institution's Canvas admin involved to come in and do it if you aren't able to delete them.

Cheers,
Chad Scott
Katy ISD

View solution in original post