Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

ALT Text Disappearing in Course Copy

Jump to solution

One of my faculty reported, and I have verified, that her alt text is disappearing when she copies a course into the new term's section shell.

Anybody else experiencing this?

Is there a fix?

Have we heard anything from engineering?

This is too much good accessibility work to lose and have to redo, especially in image-heavy courses.

Kelley

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

All my panda friends  @Renee_Carney ‌,  @kblack ‌,  @Bobby2 ‌, and  @chofer ‌!

I did ask her to submit a support ticket, but when I checked all of her courses again this morning, including the one she referenced yesterday and the only one I checked then, I see alt text in all her images. Curious! One of those momentary lapses in the laws of physics, the polar axis shifted, the Zombie Apocalypse, who knows?

I will mark this puppy assumed answered, and move on to real problems.

Thanks for checking everybody!

Kelley

View solution in original post

7 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kmeeusen ...

I was not able to replicate this in my own sandbox course.  I created a brand new course shell, then I used the directions here, How do I copy content from another Canvas course?, to copy the contents of an entire course into the new course shell.  The "Alt" image tags for two images that were on my "Syllabus" page copied over as expected...no issues.

Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kmeeusen I tried the same as  @chofer and the alt text seemed to stay put also.

Browser wouldn't make a difference would it?

kblack
Community Champion

Well, I hate to say it,  @kmeeusen , but make that three. I did a test import from a course with many alt text images, and they all seemed to copy over fine. There is still some image strangeness in general with some courses being reported in the Community, and I wonder if that is at all related in some weird way??  I also wonder if playing around with some of the import options would make a difference, just to narrow down the suspects.  Are you doing "import all" or "import selected content"? Does adjusting due dates make a difference or not? Not that any of those should be causing this, but just trying to see if there's something that would make this occur.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Wow, Kelley!  Sometimes it's nice to know it's just you, and other times it's not so nice.  When this happened, did you have the instructor submit this to support so that they could investigate?

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

All my panda friends  @Renee_Carney ‌,  @kblack ‌,  @Bobby2 ‌, and  @chofer ‌!

I did ask her to submit a support ticket, but when I checked all of her courses again this morning, including the one she referenced yesterday and the only one I checked then, I see alt text in all her images. Curious! One of those momentary lapses in the laws of physics, the polar axis shifted, the Zombie Apocalypse, who knows?

I will mark this puppy assumed answered, and move on to real problems.

Thanks for checking everybody!

Kelley

View solution in original post

It was worse than the Zombie Apocalypse! Way worse!

The one course that triggered her response yesterday, happened because her course-copy was from a term prior to when she started making her course content accessible - I din't even consider that, and just assumed she had copied from previous term. Then, when I checked very early this morning and found nothing, I learn that she had worked on the alt text last night for that course so that she could go on break with a clean slate.

I think I need a break!

Kelley

Kelley I hereby bestow a holiday upon you. You have obviously gone above and beyond for this lucky person.