cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
am_jagusztyn
Community Participant

ASPOSE File Format - What's going on?

Jump to solution

Several of my instructors have told me that when their students are uploading files to Canvas for a submission, it is erasing content and looks like the attached image. What's going on? Anybody know?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
am_jagusztyn
Community Participant

Hi Chris, this has been fixed. I believe the error was on the side of Canvas but I can't be completely sure because this was a while ago. Thank you.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
James
Community Champion

I don't have an answer, just a suggestion and some questions.

The document says "ASPOSE" as opposed to "APOSE". It would be beneficial to edit your question and change the title to get that extra S in there so that people might recognize it.

Aspose is a company that converts file formats. I haven't heard of Canvas using it and it's not in their source code, but that doesn't mean they're not experimenting. People keep on complaining about DocViewer not supporting certain types of files so they might be looking to explore.

What kind of file format were the students trying to upload?

Is your Canvas hosted by Instructure or is it self-hosted? If self-hosted, this might be something your school is doing. If you're hosted by Instructure, then you should definitely report this to Canvas support.

Was the entire document replaced by the event description (black text) or was the ASPOSE information just superimposed on top of the student information? You said the content was erased, but that's a really strange thing to send. It also looks like it was processed twice -- there's the larger evaluation notice with a 2018 date and a smaller GroupDocs on above it with a 2019 date.

am_jagusztyn
Community Participant

Thanks for your reply. I changed the name in the title—thanks for catching that. I am not on my campus and trying to get as much information as possible. We are hosted by Instructure. The students were uploading .docx files. As far as I know, we do not have ASPOSE installed. I spoke with L1 Support and we did a couple of experiments and got the following results: 1) Both downloaded the file to our local computers and it downloaded as a .docx file with no remnants of ASPOSE. 2) We both uploaded the file into GDrive, converted to a Google Doc, downloaded it as a .docx and a pdf and then uploaded the 3 files to an assignment (the student's downloaded file, the docx and the pdf. I uploaded this in my test environment for our Canvas the L1 support in their sandbox. When L1 support uploaded in the sandbox, no ASPOSE was seen, but when I uploaded the files to our test environment, I saw the same ASPOSE issue on both .docx files but not the pdf. Then, L1 support uploaded these files into the same test environment assignment I was using and he then saw the ASPOSE occurring. So, it seems something is going on within our Canvas account specifically.

ASPOSE was just superimposed on the document and the instructor who sent me the problem just mentioned "some of the student's work was erased", so I can't say how much at this point.

Hi there,  @am_jagusztyn ...

I'm reviewing some of the older questions here in the Community, and I came across your question.  It looks like you and  @James ‌ had been troubleshooting an ASPOSE watermark over submitted documents.  After also troubleshooting with Canvas Technical Support, you thought there was something going on with your Canvas account.  Is this still an on-going issue?  Or, has this been resolved?  If resolved, what was the solution to get it fixed?  If you could please come back to this topic to post an update for us, that would be great.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" mainly because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since the beginning of June.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Ariel.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

am_jagusztyn
Community Participant

Hi Chris, this has been fixed. I believe the error was on the side of Canvas but I can't be completely sure because this was a while ago. Thank you.

View solution in original post