cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
camilletingey
Community Member

Access Denied

Jump to solution

I have a student who keep getting access denied in their attempt to access course material.  I my end it says her acceptance is pending and she is green.  What am I doing wrong?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mzimmerman
Community Champion

Hi Camille,

If the student shows "Pending" in the People list for the course, it means that the student has not yet accepted the invitation to join the course.

In order for the enrollment to be active the student must accept the invitation by logging into Canvas and clicking the "accept" in the invitation notice at the top of the dashboard.

If the student has not accepted the invitation yet, you may need to resend it.  See  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12996-415257137 

Mike

View solution in original post

8 Replies
mzimmerman
Community Champion

Hi Camille,

If the student shows "Pending" in the People list for the course, it means that the student has not yet accepted the invitation to join the course.

In order for the enrollment to be active the student must accept the invitation by logging into Canvas and clicking the "accept" in the invitation notice at the top of the dashboard.

If the student has not accepted the invitation yet, you may need to resend it.  See  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12996-415257137 

Mike

View solution in original post

She has tried to accept the invitation but then after her acceptance it says access denied and continues to say pending in my box.

Hmm, it's possible that she actually has multiple accounts on Canvas, possibly associated with different emails.  Is she accepting the invitation directly from the email, or is she logging into Canvas and clicking the "Accept Invitation" button at the top of the dashboard?

I would make sure that she logs into Canvas and accepts the invitation there, just to be sure that it's the same Canvas user account.

Mike

Great thinking,  @mzimmerman  !

I had forgotten that possibility in my response!

mzimmerman
Community Champion
Camille,
It's better to discuss this in the Community discussion board rather than personal email, so that other folks can see and chime in...
Is the course published?  If not, the student will not have access, and will see the "Access denied" if they try to accept the email invitation.  They also will not see the invitation when they log into Canvas and look for it there.
Mike

Yes Mike the course is published, several others have been able to access and complete the course.

You may want to contact the Help Desk or Canvas Support at your school to investigate, since folks here in the Community don't have any access to your course.

Are there other students who are in the course and currently able to access it, not just complete it in the past?  If there are date restrictions on the course, that would also prevent this student (and other students) from being able to access it.

Thanks so much!