cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baxl
Community Contributor

Access Report for Instructors

Jump to solution

Is it possible to obtain an access report for instructors for an entire course?  I see how I can obtain student access reports and individual user reports, but I'd like a report to see what the instructors have been doing in the course, e.g., have they viewed  a content page. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@baxl ,

For an instructor within a course, this functionality is already there. Go into the course, click on the People (Roster) link in the menu. Find the instructor and click on their name. Then click on Access Report button on the next page.

If you're looking for some kind of mass report, then no, that information is not built-into Canvas.

That said, it was discussed almost two years ago after I wrote and shared Obtaining and using Access Report data for an entire course. That script loads the access report data for every student and puts it into a CSV file that can be opened with Excel.

At the time, I even went through and made a script that would obtain the access report for instructors, but you'll need to scroll to the bottom of the page and then advance to the next page of comments to find the information about it. It was more of a proof of concept. That was because it tried to get the access report information for all instructors in an account -- and that was an enormous time-consuming task at many schools. It turned out at the Chrome had a built-in execution time limit, but Firefox seemed to plug along.

The script could be modified to work for just a single instructor and it would probably wouldn't experience the timeouts since it would be much faster than trying to load it for everyone.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
James
Community Champion

@baxl ,

For an instructor within a course, this functionality is already there. Go into the course, click on the People (Roster) link in the menu. Find the instructor and click on their name. Then click on Access Report button on the next page.

If you're looking for some kind of mass report, then no, that information is not built-into Canvas.

That said, it was discussed almost two years ago after I wrote and shared Obtaining and using Access Report data for an entire course. That script loads the access report data for every student and puts it into a CSV file that can be opened with Excel.

At the time, I even went through and made a script that would obtain the access report for instructors, but you'll need to scroll to the bottom of the page and then advance to the next page of comments to find the information about it. It was more of a proof of concept. That was because it tried to get the access report information for all instructors in an account -- and that was an enormous time-consuming task at many schools. It turned out at the Chrome had a built-in execution time limit, but Firefox seemed to plug along.

The script could be modified to work for just a single instructor and it would probably wouldn't experience the timeouts since it would be much faster than trying to load it for everyone.

View solution in original post

baxl
Community Contributor

I saw how to do it individually but I was looking more for a mass report in Canvas.

I missed the next page completely in your discussion!  I did see your post, but failed to see there were additionally pages.  I think I need to get my eyes checked, lol.  I'll check out the script and install it.  I know enough Javascript to be dangerous but doable.  Always a work in progress. 

I very much appreciate the response!